Building a logic circuit from a truth table

In summary, the student is trying to understand why the answer key uses 4 AND gates with 3 output. He is also wondering why there are only 8 inputs in the truth table. However, there are three inputs in the truth table, not four, and the student is unable to simplify the truth table.
MarcL
P.S I know I am not supposed to use attachment but there are no way for me to input the table in a clean way... same for the logic circuit drawing. Would anyone mind helping me?

1. Homework Statement

upload_2015-2-10_19-19-20.png

Homework Equations

AND gates require both input to be True to get a true ouput
NOT gates are just the opposite of what you input in them ( 1 -- > 0 and 0 --> 1)
OR gates require at least one input to be true to create a true output

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to understand why the answer key uses 4 AND gates with 3 output. Like the one below :

upload_2015-2-10_19-21-48.png

It just seems very... weird that there are only 4 a inputs where as in the truth table there are 8 inputs in the truth table. Anybody can help me understand that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a Karnaugh Map for that truth table? Can you share it with us? :-)

Oh, well I know how, I just didn't try because this was a set of problems before it was taught, but I'll do that right now. ^^

MarcL said:
It just seems very... weird that there are only 4 a inputs where as in the truth table there are 8 inputs in the truth table.
There are four inputs in the truth table -- A, B, C, and F -- not eight.

Edit: Make that three inputs -- A, B, and C --and one output -- F.

Last edited:
So I'm guessing the first thing to do is reduce the truth table either using theorems or karnaugh map right? ( hence why you asked)... If so then I got the following

FAB 00 01 11 10
C
0 0 1 0 1
1 1 0 1 0
and then I group together if I remember correctly and that allows me to cancel the input that "changes" if the input is the same ( I don't know if I'm clear? :/). But none of them are similar.

Edit: Sorry I didn't express myself right... I meant 8 possibilities out of 3 inputs ( 2^3)
Edit2: Can't seem to format this table right ughhhh

MarcL said:

Try using the "code" tags to preserve spaces for formatting. Like this:

Code:
A B C D
0 1 0 1

Code:
  AB      00  01  11  10
C
0          0   1   0   1
1          1   0   1   0

Thanks!

Wow, doesn't look like there are any simplifications. That's why there are 4 separate minterms that you OR together to get the output.

@MarcL Has your question now been answered?

As an aside, if you were allowed to use any gates of your choosing, you'd just need a pair of 2-input exclusive-ORs.

F = A ⊕ (B⊕C)

NascentOxygen said:
F = A ⊕ (B⊕C)

Nice! Too bad he can't use XORs. I'll remember that trick! :-)

MarcL said:

You can do nice K map tables in Latex:$$
\begin{array}{|c|c|c|c|c|}
\hline C|AB & 00 & 01 & 11 & 10\\
\hline 0&0&1&0&1\\
\hline 1 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
\hline
\end{array}$$

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. How do you build a logic circuit from a truth table?

In order to build a logic circuit from a truth table, you must first identify the inputs and outputs of the circuit. Next, you can use logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates to represent the logical operations described in the truth table. The inputs will be connected to the inputs of the logic gates, and the outputs will be connected to the output of the final logic gate in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of a truth table in building a logic circuit?

A truth table is used to describe the logical operations that need to be performed in a circuit. It lists all possible combinations of inputs and their corresponding outputs, making it easier to understand and design the logic circuit.

3. How do you determine the number of logic gates needed for a circuit based on a truth table?

The number of logic gates needed for a circuit is determined by the number of inputs and outputs in the truth table. Each input and output will require a separate logic gate, so the total number of gates needed can be calculated by counting the number of inputs and outputs listed in the truth table.

4. Can a truth table have more than one correct solution for a logic circuit?

Yes, a truth table can have multiple correct solutions for a logic circuit. This means that there could be different combinations of logic gates that can produce the same output for a given set of inputs. It is important to select the most efficient and practical solution for the desired circuit.

5. How can you test the functionality of a logic circuit built from a truth table?

The best way to test the functionality of a logic circuit is to input different combinations of inputs and compare the outputs to the expected outputs listed in the truth table. This will ensure that the circuit is performing the logical operations correctly and producing the desired outputs.