Building a Model Car: Ideas for Traveling 10 Meters

In summary, the conversation is about a physics class project where the students have to build a small car that can travel 10 meters without being motorized or remote controlled. The car also needs to have an egg in the front that should not break. The person is asking for ideas and suggests using a wooden body and wheels from a model car. Another person suggests looking into mousetrap cars for potential energy propulsion.
sophistry

Homework Statement

So for physics class we each have to build a small car (think less than 1 foot by 1 foot)
It cannot be motorized, remote controlled, pulled, pushed, etc.
It's not speed that's the problem though, it's distance. It has to travel about 10 meters and it will stop by going into a board. (If I can even get it that far)
It also has to have an egg in the front, that must not break.
What can I do? I need some ideas.

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking making the body out of wood and taking the wheels from a model car.
Would it be better if the car is heavy or light?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest you look into mousetrap cars. There is lots of information on line. The potential energy in the mousetrap spring propels the car.

1. How do I choose the right materials for building a model car?

Choosing the right materials for your model car depends on several factors. First, consider the weight of the materials as a heavier car will require more energy to travel 10 meters. Also, consider the durability of the materials as they will need to withstand the movement and potential impact. Some common materials used for model cars include cardboard, balsa wood, and plastic.

2. What are some design ideas for a model car that can travel 10 meters?

There are many design ideas you can explore for a model car that can travel 10 meters. Some popular options include using a balloon-powered car, a rubber band car, or a solar-powered car. You can also experiment with different wheel sizes and shapes to optimize the distance traveled.

3. How can I improve the aerodynamics of my model car?

Aerodynamics plays a crucial role in the performance of your model car. To improve it, you can try making the car more streamlined by reducing any protruding parts or adding a spoiler at the back. You can also experiment with different weight distributions and wheel alignments to reduce drag and increase speed.

4. Is it necessary to add a propulsion system to my model car?

Adding a propulsion system to your model car is not necessary, but it can greatly improve its performance. A propulsion system, such as a rubber band or balloon, can provide a burst of energy to propel the car forward. However, you can still achieve success with a simple gravity-powered design.

5. How can I test and fine-tune my model car for optimal performance?

Testing and fine-tuning your model car is an essential step in ensuring its optimal performance. Start by testing the car on a flat surface and measuring the distance traveled. Then, make necessary adjustments to the design, weight, and propulsion system. Continue testing and making adjustments until you achieve the desired distance of 10 meters.