Building a small hot air balloon

In summary, someone could build a small hot air balloon by using 25 helium balloons and some simple supplies like a camera and string. It sounds like a reasonable project, but I think a helium balloon would be easier to use.
LightningInAJar said:
Do they have RC hot air balloons? I would like to avoid hydrogen for sure and helium because of difficulty getting it and the quantity of balloons needed to get a meaningful amount of lift. Would heating air make a big difference compared to lighter gases alone? My 360 camera actually is pretty light.
Have you really checked on the difficulty getting Helium? Do you know you can't get it at some local store?

Physics news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
Have you really checked on the difficulty getting Helium? Do you know you can't get it at some local store?
Most high streets have Party Supply shops. You can even buy them in my local village card / toy shop. Afaiaa, there are very little special restriction involved with 'balloon gas'. Just ask around.

Larger balloons are inexpensive and easy to find, for example this one I found on Amazon. The one in the picture claims to be able to lift 500g, for just $17.

1654614758906.png

Helium can also be bought locally in most places.

Likes bob012345
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

I think we've addressed the OP's question fairly well, and pointed out the dangers of trying to use fire to heat air for an uncrewed vehicle. The OP may live in an area where wildfires are not a concern, but here in the Western US and many other places, wildfires have been increasing in number and severity over the past decade or so. Since many readers of this thread in the future will be from such places with high fire danger, it's inappropriate to have any further discussion on the topic.

Stay safe folks, and be smart in your projects.

1654621299780.png

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/california-wildfires-why-happening

Likes dlgoff, BillTre, sophiecentaur and 1 other person