Raising Shipwreck with Buoyancy Balloons - Calculations Needed?

• Thread starter gloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, when calculating the number of balloons needed to raise a shipwreck, one must consider the weight of the ship, including the mass of steel and other contents, as well as the mass of the water trapped inside. The water above the ship exerts pressure on it, but this is balanced out by an equal pressure force pushing up on the bottom of the ship. The water inside the ship does not affect the lifting force required, as it has its own buoyancy. The buoyancy of the metal in the ship must also be subtracted from the lifting force requirement. The volume of the balloons will also be affected by the surrounding water's viscous force, but this will only slow down the ship's rise, not prevent
gloo
If there is a shipwreck that i am trying to raise and i try to calculate the number of ballons to attach to the ship to raise it to the surface, do i have to just the weight of the ship given it's mass (all the steel it's made of; all the stuff inside...) and the mass of the water trapped in it? Assume it's a rectangular ship sitting upright - don't i need to calculate the weight of all the water directly above it all the way to the surface? That weighs down on the ship doesn't it?

Physics news on Phys.org
gloo said:
If there is a shipwreck that i am trying to raise and i try to calculate the number of ballons to attach to the ship to raise it to the surface, do i have to just the weight of the ship given it's mass (all the steel it's made of; all the stuff inside...) and the mass of the water trapped in it? Assume it's a rectangular ship sitting upright - don't i need to calculate the weight of all the water directly above it all the way to the surface? That weighs down on the ship doesn't it?

The water above the ship exerts a pressure on it, that is true, but the additional pressure force pushing it down is canceled by an additional pressure force acting up on the bottom of the ship. By this I mean that the net effect of the pressure force on the ship is the same no matter how deep it is. You can disregard it, except for the effect it will have on the volume of the balloons.

There will also be a viscous force from the surrounding water acting downward when the ship starts to rise, but this can only slow it, not stop it from rising.

Be careful about the water trapped inside it - since you aren't lifting the ship above the water, the water inside does not affect the lifting force requirement. It has its own buoyancy.

You also need to subtract the buoyancy of the metal in the ship from the lifting force requirement.

To be clear, you can include the water in the calculation, but as long as you include both the additional weight and additional volume, it will make to difference.

FAQ: Raising Shipwreck with Buoyancy Balloons - Calculations Needed?

1. How do you calculate the amount of buoyancy needed to lift a shipwreck?

The amount of buoyancy needed to lift a shipwreck can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This means that the weight of the shipwreck must be equal to the weight of the fluid (water) it displaces when submerged. To calculate the amount of buoyancy needed, you would need to know the weight of the shipwreck and the density of the water it is submerged in.

2. How many buoyancy balloons are needed to raise a shipwreck?

The number of buoyancy balloons needed to raise a shipwreck depends on the weight and size of the shipwreck, as well as the buoyancy of the balloons themselves. To determine the number of balloons needed, you would need to know the weight of the shipwreck and the lift capacity of each balloon. It is also important to consider the placement and distribution of the balloons on the shipwreck for optimal lifting.

3. What materials are used to create buoyancy balloons for shipwreck lifting?

Buoyancy balloons used for shipwreck lifting are typically made of durable materials such as rubber or PVC. These materials have high tensile strength and are able to withstand the pressure and weight of the shipwreck. The balloons may also be filled with a gas, such as helium, to increase their buoyancy.

4. How do you ensure the safety of the shipwreck during the lifting process?

Safety is a crucial factor in the process of raising a shipwreck with buoyancy balloons. To ensure the safety of the shipwreck, it is important to carefully calculate the amount of buoyancy needed and to evenly distribute the balloons on the shipwreck. It is also essential to have a team of experienced professionals handling the lifting process and to have proper safety measures in place.

5. What are the potential environmental impacts of using buoyancy balloons to raise a shipwreck?

While using buoyancy balloons to raise a shipwreck can be an effective method, there are potential environmental impacts to consider. The release of gases from the balloons may contribute to air pollution, and the use of non-biodegradable materials can also have a negative impact on marine life. It is important to carefully consider and mitigate these potential impacts during the planning and execution of the shipwreck lifting process.

Back