Buoyancy force calculation question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of buoyancy force on a gate in an intake channel. The question is whether the normal buoyancy formula applies in this scenario and if there is a rule of thumb for this type of problem. The conversation also includes a link to a picture for better understanding and additional data is provided. The buoyancy rule is mentioned and the question is if the gate is considered immersed in water if there is air on one side.
Martz
Hi,

I'd like to calculate the buoyancy force exerted on a gate in an intake channel (see picture in attachment). Since the gate is not totally surrounded by water, I guess that the normal buoyancy formula doesn't apply here, am I right ? Is there a rule of thumb for this kind of problem ?

Thanks

Martz

Attachments

• Buoyancy.bmp
    250.3 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey guys,

Seeing not a lot of people have actually seen the picture, I thought I'd host it somewhere else so it could be shown directly on the page.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6809/buoyancy.png [Broken]

Also, I guess I could add more data in order for you to help me.

The buoyancy rule states : "A body immersed in a fluid experiences a vertical bouyant force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces."

So if we say that the gate is "immersed in water", the buoyant force would be Gate_Volume [m³] * 1000 [kg/m³] * 9.81 [m/s²]. The problem is; is the gate considered "immersed in water" if there is air (we suppose atmospheric pressure) on one of its side ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is buoyancy force?

Buoyancy force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

How is buoyancy force calculated?

Buoyancy force is calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid and the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect buoyancy force?

The buoyancy force on an object is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and position of the object in the fluid also play a role in determining buoyancy force.

How does buoyancy force relate to an object's weight?

Buoyancy force is directly related to an object's weight. If the buoyancy force on an object is greater than its weight, the object will float. If the buoyancy force is less than its weight, the object will sink.

Can buoyancy force be negative?

No, buoyancy force cannot be negative. It is always directed upwards, opposing the weight of the object. If an object experiences a net downward force in a fluid, it will sink, but the buoyancy force itself is still positive.