Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bush's website rejects non-US visitors

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1

graphic7

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, either that or due to capacity limits, he wants to make sure the people who matter have access to his site.

4. Oct 27, 2004 #3

graphic7

Gold Member

Well the server is hosted on a single connection. Therefore, he'd have to be explicitly rate limiting foreign access, which is just as bad as denying any in the first place.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  5. Nov 1, 2004 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

6. Nov 1, 2004 #5
    Bush is an international threat. He was first to agree his sight must have homeland security. After you go murdering and stealing across Iraq, you must protect yourself because the international community condemns it.

7. Nov 1, 2004 #6
    Notice this only started on October 24th. If he was as anti foreign as you are seeming to imply this would have been done ages ago, most likely around September 11th.
    Stealing? Murdering yes but it is a war and I don't believe a war has been fought without killing. You make it seem as though the Iraqi's have not killed any of our soldiers, along with any of their innocent citizens who were glad to see Sadam go.

8. Nov 1, 2004 #7

graphic7

Gold Member

Your guess is just as good as mine as to why the Bush-Cheney campaign would ban foreign visitors. The "security" issue seems rather artificial. Any person with a malicious intent would be intelligent enough to grab a US proxy, and use it to carry out their malicious activities. Banning all foreign users certainly wouldn't stop that. And, who's to say that people in the United States aren't wanting to deface the President's web site?

9. Nov 1, 2004 #8
    Well I don't know anything about computer hacking but if someone managed to do that to the presidents website, and they were on U.S grounds and got caught I'm assuming they would have some "problems" which would be different if a foreigner did it. Still it is a bit weird and annoying, I guess.

10. Nov 2, 2004 #9
    You mean you haven't got used to having your freedoms eroded? I'm wondering how long you are going to be allowed to have any genuine communication left at all. But don't worry, Mr President knows best; you don't want us nasty foreigners putting un-American ideas in your heads, do you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?