Buy Neodymium Magnets for Inducing Current on a Budget

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter bigmack
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnetic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
bigmack
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Ok so I'm working on a project involving magnets and inducing current. Thing is that I'm on a budget and need to make sure that I buy the right things.

For my project I'm going to need neodymium magnets. Using the magnets I'm going to induce current.

I found a website selling magnets. It has different types of N50 grade magnets. What I want to know is, if all the magnets are N50 grade, then how come they have different pull forces. I think it might have to do with the sizes... because one of the magnets is 2"X2"X1" and it has an approximate pull force of 250 lbs, an other magnet is a cube with a side being an eighth of an inch, it has a pull force of 2.5 lbs. Both these magnets are N50 and are 14,500 gauss.

I'm going to conclude that the bigger the magnet, the stronger pulling force it has.
But since both magnets have the same gauss, does it mean that both magnets would generate the same amount of current? Would one of the magnets produce more current than the other?

Oh, and can someone please give me an equation for working out the current that is generated. Using a coil to cut the fields, and a single wire, please.

Oh and yeah, if I got 10 of the smaller magnets, and joined them together, then would their pull force increase, would it increase proportionally, so that if I joined an infinite number of the small magnets, the pulling forcec would increase infinitely in proportion?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this on-line pull calculator
http://www.dextermag.com/Calculation.aspx?mode=input&id=ForceCalcCylinder
Bob S
 
Last edited by a moderator:
bigmack said:
Ok so I'm working on a project involving magnets and inducing current. Thing is that I'm on a budget and need to make sure that I buy the right things.

For my project I'm going to need neodymium magnets. Using the magnets I'm going to induce current.

I found a website selling magnets. It has different types of N50 grade magnets. What I want to know is, if all the magnets are N50 grade, then how come they have different pull forces. I think it might have to do with the sizes... because one of the magnets is 2"X2"X1" and it has an approximate pull force of 250 lbs, an other magnet is a cube with a side being an eighth of an inch, it has a pull force of 2.5 lbs. Both these magnets are N50 and are 14,500 gauss.

I'm going to conclude that the bigger the magnet, the stronger pulling force it has.
But since both magnets have the same gauss, does it mean that both magnets would generate the same amount of current? Would one of the magnets produce more current than the other?

Oh, and can someone please give me an equation for working out the current that is generated. Using a coil to cut the fields, and a single wire, please.

Oh and yeah, if I got 10 of the smaller magnets, and joined them together, then would their pull force increase, would it increase proportionally, so that if I joined an infinite number of the small magnets, the pulling forcec would increase infinitely in proportion?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok I can't help you with much more than the last part...if you go to kjmagnetics.com they have a pull and a push force calculator and you can chose the type of magnet and the size and press enter and it will calculate the pull or push force for you. Hope this helps you!