Buying Program for Physics and Maths

In summary, Maple is a handy program for symbolic manipulation and solving equations. It is not as efficient as MatLab when it comes to solving equations, but it is still a powerful program.
$id
Hey guys,

I was considering buying this program. Does anybody have any good feedback or use it regularly?

i am currently 18 and studying in school but will be studying theoretical physics at university, Is it likely to be helpful with Physics and Maths in general?

thanks a lot

sid

Physics news on Phys.org
I use Maple as my CAS. Sometimes I don't have a calculator handy so I use Maple (overkill :biggrin: ).
It's handy if you want to make numerical approximations, make graphs (2D, 3D,vector fields,animations), check your answers, solve DE's etc.

IIRC, it's a bit expensive. If you're a student, I`m almost positive you can download it somewhere (legally) and get a campus-license from your university. It's probably 'only' Maple6 (I have), but suits my purpose.

Maple is capable of symbolic manipulation. Which means you can use expressions with arbitrary constants like a or b. Also, when you use, for example, [itex]\pi[/itex] in your expression. Maple will work with [itex]\pi[/itex] and not some approximation of [itex]\pi[/itex] like a calculator. It will only give the decimals when you ask for an approximation (you can specify the number of digits. 5,10,100 or more).

I've heard MatLab is the program for matrices, but Maple can deal with them as well. But, not as efficient and extensive as MatLab I gather.

What Maple doesn't do is providing step by step solutions. It can solve a difficult integral in a jiffy, but it will not show any steps.
Sometimes it can not find an 'exact' solution. I once had a limit which looked complex, but could be solved by a human (since the expression could be simplified by a substitution which a human could spot). Maple could not solve it, but after making the substitution manually, it could.

Those are my two cents. It's a nice program to have. I had fun illustrating how the terms of a Fourier series approximate the function. And plotting nonstationary wavefunctions was nice too. Didn't use it for much else though.

Last edited:
It will much more useful if you go into experimental physics...Lots of numbers there...Graphs,plots,statistical analysis...

Daniel.

P.S.I wonder if it can solve Einstein's equations and find the Friedmann-Lemaître solution...

Anybody know where to get it cheap (Legally)

There is $99 US download avaliable but I am in UK

$id said:
Anybody know where to get it cheap (Legally)

There is $99 US download avaliable but I am in UK
Seriously, ask you faculty or studentmentor (or what have you) for a student edition supplied by your university.

I am still in school, the maths department won't fancy spending money on this as number of students who will use this is handful. hence i will need to buy it outright,

All of the CAS programs are fine, but once you use mathematica you can't turn back.

Sometimes it can not find an 'exact' solution. I once had a limit which looked complex, but could be solved by a human (since the expression could be simplified by a substitution which a human could spot). Maple could not solve it, but after making the substitution manually, it could.

This is exactly why mathematica is the best, it never let's me down.

Since I have had mathematica, it has lead me to try creative things that I never would have otherwise approached. I explored the electric field outside fractal charge distributions (looking for a tripole). I just wrote up a double infinite sum of some big nasty voltage calculation that I wouldn't touch analytically with a ten foot pole. No other cas would do anything significant, but mathematica reduced the summations to a simple closed form function.

Crosson said:
All of the CAS programs are fine, but once you use mathematica you can't turn back.

This is exactly why mathematica is the best, it never let's me down.

Since I have had mathematica, it has lead me to try creative things that I never would have otherwise approached. I explored the electric field outside fractal charge distributions (looking for a tripole). I just wrote up a double infinite sum of some big nasty voltage calculation that I wouldn't touch analytically with a ten foot pole. No other cas would do anything significant, but mathematica reduced the summations to a simple closed form function.

Very much along the same lines ... and have been able to reduce time spent in implementations drastically with mathematica. In general I'd say get either mathematica or maple and then if you need/ can afford matlab.

Price is the main thing here,

Any Ideas of places which sell these cheap online. US website is fine if it ships to UK.

Mathematica seems to be cheaper... don't know about a site. Enquire at the local university? Even if you're still at school... you should still quality for a student edition should you not?

The other wolfram products aimed at students seem to be OK. Like err... calculation center ?
But might as well just get the real mckoy.

1. What is a "Buying Program for Physics and Maths"?

A "Buying Program for Physics and Maths" is a program that allows individuals or organizations to purchase a set of resources, such as textbooks, software, or equipment, specifically for the study of physics and mathematics. It can also refer to a program that offers discounts or deals on these resources.

2. Who can participate in a Buying Program for Physics and Maths?

Anyone can participate in a Buying Program for Physics and Maths, including students, teachers, researchers, and organizations. Some programs may have specific eligibility requirements, so it is best to check the program's guidelines before participating.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a Buying Program for Physics and Maths?

The benefits of participating in a Buying Program for Physics and Maths include access to discounted resources, potential cost savings, and the ability to acquire all necessary materials in one place. It can also help support the development of education and research in physics and mathematics.

4. How can I find a Buying Program for Physics and Maths?

There are several ways to find a Buying Program for Physics and Maths. You can search online for programs specific to your location or institution. You can also check with your school or organization to see if they have any partnerships or affiliations with such programs.

5. Are there any limitations to a Buying Program for Physics and Maths?

There may be limitations to a Buying Program for Physics and Maths, such as restricted eligibility or limited availability of certain resources. It is important to carefully review the program's guidelines and terms before participating to ensure it meets your needs and expectations.