1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

C++ linking/inheritance problem?

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    I'm writing a Steque class that will inherit from my Stack and Queue classes. When I try to link it, I'm getting this weird error, which I'm sure has something to do with trying to inheritance.

Queue.h

Code (Text):

#include <iostream>
    #include <cstddef>
    #include <stdlib.h>

using namespace std;
    typedef string Itemtype;
    struct NodeType;
    typedef NodeType *NodePtr;
    typedef struct NodeType{
      Itemtype item;
      NodePtr next;
      NodePtr last;
    };

class Queue{

public:
      Queue();
      ~Queue();
    more stuff

Steque.h

#include "Queue.h"
    //#include "Stack.h"

class Steque : virtual public Queue{
     public:
      Steque();
    };

Steque.cc

#include "Steque.h"

Steque::Steque(){
    }

main(){

}

When I try to run it:

Code (Text):

$ g++ -g -c Steque.cc
    $ make
    g++  -g -o Steque Steque.o
    Steque.o(.text+0x20): In function `Steque::Steque[in-charge]()':
    /home/john/Steque.cc:4: undefined reference to `Queue::Queue[not-in-charge]()'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [Steque] Error 1

In my steque.cc class, I have nothing but the contructor and main. I'm just trying to get it to compile before I start writing code for it. This is my third c++ program, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2
    grr, two seconds after I posted this I figured it out. I put a Queue constructor in my Steque.cc class and it worked. I'm not sure why, but it did. Thanks for the potential replies.

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3

plover

Homework Helper

As best I can tell, you're missing the definition for the Queue constructor. In other words, somewhere you need to add:
    Code (Text):
    Queue::Queue() { }

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4

plover

Homework Helper

Your declaration of class Queue included a declaration of a constructor with no arguments. If that constructor is referenced anywhere, you must include a body for it.

When the constructor to a derived class is called, this will call the constructor of the base class. Thus when the compiler processes Steque::Steque() it will include a reference to Queue::Queue(). Then when the linker tries to resolve that reference, it cannot find a body for Queue::Queue() and shows an error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?