1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(C2)2+ ion hybridization?

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    According to the molecular orbital diagram of the (C2)2+ ion you its a stable ion, because it has a bond order of 1 & that means its a stable substance.

Now if you draw the lewis structure you could obtain the geometric arrangement of the electron pairs ( groups) around the central atom. In this case its the following lewis structure:
    b713366a29d034c26e928f48f1a09db6.png

Now here you can find only 1 electron group around the central atom:
    cc8429661259850b0003765aadfc82df.png

Now it if were 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 you could determine the arrangement of the electron pairs (groups) around the central atom. From this arrangement we could determine the hybridization of the central atom.

But the problem is that there is only 1 electron group, so what is the geometrical arrangement of the electron pairs(groups) around the central atom?
    I would like to know if there is hybridization in the (C2)2+ ion, but I cant figure out because of this problem. Could someone please help me?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

I think that C22+ is more appropriately explained by MOT. Try writing the MOT config of C2 and then remove two electrons to get the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted