1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 3, vectors and length

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a vector that has the same direction as the given vector but has length 6.
    ‹4, 2, -2›

2. Relevant equations

L = ((x-i)^2+(y-j)^2+(z-k)^2)^.5

3. The attempt at a solution

For some reason I am just stuck. I don't know how to start. I assume L = ((x-i)^2+(y-j)^2+(z-k)^2)^.5 becomes L = (x^2+y^2+z^2)^.5 because of the 2 points (0,0,0) and (x,y,z) but how does one find something with the length of 6 in 3 dimensions? All I really have is this

36=x^2+y^2+z^2

I guess I could eliminate z by finding an equation for a line on points (0,0,0) and (4,2,-2). I found that equation to be z=x-3y but after plugging that in it seems that I have 2 independent variables(x and y). How do I deal with this?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ok so lets say a is scalar and v is your vector. The a*v has same direction but different magnitude than a, and so the magnitude of a*v is sqrt((ax)^2 + (ay)^2 + (az)^2)

sqrt((4a)^2 + (2a)^2 + (-2a)^2) = 6, and so a=sqrt(3/2). so a*v should equal to 6

Please refer to the vector calculus notes here http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/VectorArithmetic.aspx you need to know difference between addition, substraction, and multiplication of vectors and what it looks like

4. Sep 11, 2010 #3
    Ah yes yes yes. Ok now I see how you go about this. Simply find a scalar to multiply the original vector by. I found out that I multiply by (3/2)^.5 and the new vector is <4(3/2)^.5,2(3/2)^.5,-2(3/2)^.5> and this has a length 6.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook