1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III: Use of variables in functions

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    I'm confused about whether or not I'm thinking about this correctly:

If I'm given an equation eg. 3x^2-2xy=3z+1 (just a random eg.)

Is it a correct assumption to think of the x,y and z in the equation as corresponding

to x,y and z as I'd think of them on the cartesian plane...They're not just dummy variables

but in this case actually represent something ...like they arent going to switch them around

on me and use y in place of z and x in place of y...

because x=sqrt(y) (right side of parabola) isnt the same as y=sqrt(x) ....so is this

assumption that x and y and z are used on purpose --and arent just 'dummy variables'

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure I understand your question. In a specific application you are either told what "x, y, z" mean or you assign them yourself (and it would be a good idea to say what "x, y, z" mean at the beginning). If, in a problem, one person derives y= x2 and another x= y2, they really have the same thing- one graph has just swapped the x,y coordinates of the other. No, they are not just "dummy variables"- but swapping them around would just give the same graph in a different coordinate system.

If, for example, I have a problem that says "A farmer has 400 yards of fencing. He wants to fence a rectangular pasture in which he can use a river bank as one side (and so needs no fencing). What are the dimensions that will give the largest area?"

It is my choice whether I use x to mean the length of the side along the river bankand y the side perpendicular to it or vice-versa. If I do choose x to be the length of the side along the river bank, my equations become, "length of fencing used: x+ 2y= 400, area= xy" and I get x= 200 yards, y= 100 yards. If I choose it the other way around, y is the length of the side along the river bank, the equations become y+ 2x= 400, area= xy and I get y= 200 yards, x= 100 yards, but those are exactly the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook