Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc new latitude/longitude from polar offset of known point

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    PROBLEM: Find a new point's latitude/longitude given the starting point's latitude/longitude and the polar offset (bearing:degrees-minutes-seconds and distance: xx.xx feet) from that known point.

My property description is given in bearing/distance from a known point. I can find the known point's latitude/longitude.

I need to calculate a new point's latitude/longitude given the distance (xx.xx ft) and bearing (degrees-minutes-seconds) from the known point.

This will enable me to find/approximate my property's borders using my portable gps unit.

A formula will do. An online calculator would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Resolve the polar bearing into lat and long components, then add these to the starting lat/long.
    If the bearing length is small compared to the earth, you might not need to take spherical triginto account.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    Would you know the formulas for resolving the polar bearing into lat and long components? We're talking about a small 4 acre parcel of land.

5. Sep 3, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I found an online calculator here http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm
    scroll down to Compute lat/lon given radial and distance from a known point, you might have to convert the bearing and lat long into decimals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?