1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc new latitude/longitude from polar offset of known point

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    PROBLEM: Find a new point's latitude/longitude given the starting point's latitude/longitude and the polar offset (bearing:degrees-minutes-seconds and distance: xx.xx feet) from that known point.

My property description is given in bearing/distance from a known point. I can find the known point's latitude/longitude.

I need to calculate a new point's latitude/longitude given the distance (xx.xx ft) and bearing (degrees-minutes-seconds) from the known point.

This will enable me to find/approximate my property's borders using my portable gps unit.

A formula will do. An online calculator would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Resolve the polar bearing into lat and long components, then add these to the starting lat/long.
    If the bearing length is small compared to the earth, you might not need to take spherical triginto account.

4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    Would you know the formulas for resolving the polar bearing into lat and long components? We're talking about a small 4 acre parcel of land.

5. Sep 3, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I found an online calculator here http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm [Broken]
    scroll down to Compute lat/lon given radial and distance from a known point, you might have to convert the bearing and lat long into decimals.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook