1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc Optimization - Point on an ellipse closest to origin.

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x^2 - 2xy + 6y^2 = 10
    Find the point on the ellipse closest to the origin (0,0).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Absolutely no one in my class can solve this. We've been to the math lab and none of the helpers there know how to solve it. I think the only person who knows how to solve it here is my professor, and he essentially dodges our requests for an example. I know how to solve this if the ellipse is, for example, x^3+4y^2 = 7. The problem is, this ellipse has 2xy in it and I don't know how to solve for y to plug in the distance formula.

For x^3 + 4y^2 = 10:

y = [(10-x^3)/4]^.5

D = sq rt {x^2 + [(10-x^3)^.5]^2}

When D is a min, you have the closest point to the origin.

So, I essentially just need to know how to solve x^2 - 2xy + 6y^2 = 10 for y, or an alternate means to solve this problem.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2
    Complete the square with respect to y

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    Thanks

How do I do that?

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4
    It is a rather involved process. I assume you know how to complete the square for something like [itex] ax^2+bx+c [/itex]. In this case treat x as a constant and complete the square for y

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5
    I understand how I could take the derivative of that with respect to y... but I have no idea how to go about completing the square like that...

7. Nov 15, 2007 #6
    [tex] 6y^2-2xy+x^2 = 6 \left( y^2-\frac{1}{3} xy \right) + x^2 [/tex]
    [tex] 6 \left( y^2-\frac{1}{3} xy + \frac{1}{36} x^2 - \frac{1}{36} x^2 \right) + x^2 [/tex]
    [tex] 6 \left( y^2-\frac{1}{3} xy + \frac{1}{36} x^2 \right) - \frac{1}{6} x^2 + x^2 [/tex]
    [tex] 6 \left( y- \frac{1}{6} x \right)^2 +\frac{5}{6} x^2[/tex]

Edit: Sorry I destroyed the Typesetting so bad, trying to do math in two variables and type set at the same time threw me off

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  8. Nov 15, 2007 #7
    Thank you so much! I think I can figure this one out now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?