1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Points on an Ellipse Furthest Away From (1,0)

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the points on the ellipse 4x2+y2=4 that are furthest from the point (1,0) on the ellipse.

2. Relevant equations
    Ellipse: y=±√(4-4x2)
    Distance Formula: d=√[(x2-x1)2+(y2-y1)2]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The distance from (1,0) for any point on the ellipse should be d=√[(x-1)2+(±√(4-4x2)2].
    That simplifies to d=√[(x-1)2+4-4x2]. The ± in front of √(4-4x2) just turns positive because the final value is squared anyways, right?

However, when I graph the distance formula it doesn't match up with my ellipse. According to my solution manual the maximum distance occurs at x=-1/3, but my distance formula graph just keeps increasing. The manual squares d to give s=d2 and then graphs s, which does give a maximum value for s at x=-1/3, but I don't understand why they do this and how it works.

Edit: Added negative sign to x=-1/3.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should show your work, because I am in agreement with your solution manual. Presumably, you have made an error somewhere.

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3

Drakkith

I thought I did so. What else would you like to see?

5. Apr 24, 2015 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not in agreement with your solution manual. I find the maxima occur at ##x=-1/3##. If you plot the ellipse, you should be able to see x=+1/3 doesn't make sense either.

6. Apr 24, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Whoops, I forgot to put the negative sign in front of the 1/3. You are correct, Vela, it is -1/3.

7. Apr 24, 2015 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The only thing I can think of is that you're not plotting the right function. What you wrote in the OP is fine. Whether you plot ##d## or ##d^2##, you should see a maximum at x=-1/3.

8. Apr 24, 2015 #7
    Another approach that I find much simpler is to take the derivative of the function ##d^2## w.r.t ##x## and let that equal to 0 to find the maxima points.
    since the maximum power of ##x## in ##d^2## is 2, taking the derivative will produce a linear equation and you should have your desired solution.
    [EDIT:- @Drakkith you being a mentor why does your profile have the label STARTER on it???]

9. Apr 24, 2015 #8

Drakkith

Dang it, you are correct. I put 4-4X instead of 4-4X2 into my function. Now it has a maximum at x=-1/3.
    I swear... I checked my work about 5 times and still missed that. Thanks, Vela.

Thanks. I'll try that. I suppose it would be a good way to double check my answer.

Because I started this thread.

10. Apr 24, 2015 #9
    Oh I see.... I always thought a starter was someone who was had just created his PF account a week earlier or something like that................

11. Apr 24, 2015 #10

Drakkith

Nope. It's just an easy way to see who started the thread. I'm really happy Greg added it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted