1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate capacitance of conductors

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1

s-f

Problem: (a) What is the capacitance of the 2 conductors +20nC and -20nC? (b) If the voltage difference between the 2 conductors increase to 250 V, then what else changes?

a). I calculated that ΔV = 100 V. So then I plugged into the formula C = Q/ΔV. I thought 20 nC = 2 x 10^-8 C, which divided by 100 V = 2 x 10^-9C but the answer is 2 x 10^-10 C. What am I doing wrong? I know this is very simple but I have never studied physics before and am terrible at math.

b). charge of the conductors increases to keep capacitance constant, since capacitance is a property of area and distance between plates (I think this is right but please tell me if it's wrong!)

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Where did the 100V come from? Is it given for part a)?

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3

s-f

Thanks. Actually the problem had more steps before this and Ohm's Law was used to calculate Voltage = 100 V (I have the answers so I know it's correct). The part I'm unsure of is how C = 2 x 10^-10 Farads (not Coulombs - I accidentally wrote C instead of F earlier!).

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4

s-f

Anyone? I would really appreciate it : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook