Calculate capacitances of 2 unknown

• Thread starter bsbs
  • Start date
In summary: If the voltage across A is 120V, the charge on cap A is: Q=(Ca)120Capacitor B is in series so the same charge appears across it. Q=(Cb)80The second case could be more complicated (a little). You'll have to decide if the 3uF capacitor is added to a live circuit or if the caps are discharged before the new cap is inserted. I think it is the former but it may not matter (you'll have to think on that if you want to solve the simpler problem). Otherwise you will have to begin with the initial charges on Ca and Cb and see what happens when some charge change occurs as a result of the
bsbs

Homework Statement

d.c supply 200V
capacitors A and B connected in series
p.d across A is 120V

p.d. across A, increased to 140V when a 3μF capacitor is connected in parallel with B.

Find capacitance of A and B.

Homework Equations

The only hint is the voltage drop (20V) across B when 3μF capacitor is connected in parallel with capacitor B. I have problem coming up with logical equations to solve this, can anyone help?

Capacitance total in parallel connection = sum of 'n' numbers of capacitors
Capacitance total in series connection for this case is = 1/Ct = 1/A + 1/(B+3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• q15.jpg
    q15.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bsbs said:

Homework Statement

d.c supply 200V
capacitors A and B connected in series
p.d across A is 120V

p.d. across A, increased to 140V when a 3μF capacitor is connected in parallel with B.

Find capacitance of A and B.

Homework Equations

i have problem coming up with equations to solve this, can anyone help?

The Attempt at a Solution

How do do you determine the potential drops across capacitors in series?

Call the capacities A and B. If 200V is applied across the series connection of A and B, what would be the expression for the potential across B?

gneill said:
How do do you determine the potential drops across capacitors in series?

Call the capacities A and B. If 200V is applied across the series connection of A and B, what would be the expression for the potential across B?
Blur on forming a maths equation to solve this problem.

Last edited:
bsbs said:
supply is constant, 200V.
if 120V is across A, 80V will be across B.
That just restates the given conditions. Suppose you didn't know what the potentials were but were given the capacitor values. How would you calculate the potential across capacitor B?

ok, if supply is 200V, A is 3μF and B is 5μF connected in series.

total capacitance will be 1.8μF
total charge =1.8 X 200 =360μC

Voltage across A = Q/C(A)
= 360μC / 3μF
= 120V

Voltage across B = Q/C(B)
= 360μC / 5μF
= 72V

how do i apply this logic to the above if both A and B are unknown? where i only have the p.d across A 120V, and when 3rd capacitor is applied, it increases to 140V.

Last edited:
attached is the diagram i have prepared.

Attachments

• q15c.JPG
    q15c.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 466
really hope someone can help to explain. Am i posting in the correct section? I am new here.

From the first circuit you have voltages across capacitors A and B. Given that information you can find the ratio of the two capacitors A and B.

The second circuit, again, you can find the ratio of the capacitors A and (B in parallel with 3uF).

Two equations, two unknowns, solve :)

aralbrec said:
From the first circuit you have voltages across capacitors A and B. Given that information you can find the ratio of the two capacitors A and B.

The second circuit, again, you can find the ratio of the capacitors A and (B in parallel with 3uF).

Two equations, two unknowns, solve :)

care to show how to solve these 2 unknown? :)

bsbs said:
care to show how to solve these 2 unknown? :)

Ah, check back to post #5. You solved this once already assuming two concrete capacitance values for Ca and Cb. Do it again but this time use unknown capacitance values and call them Ca and Cb.

If the voltage across A is 120V, the charge on cap A is: Q=(Ca)120
Capacitor B is in series so the same charge appears across it. Q=(Cb)80

The second case could be more complicated (a little). You'll have to decide if the 3uF capacitor is added to a live circuit or if the caps are discharged before the new cap is inserted. I think it is the former but it may not matter (you'll have to think on that if you want to solve the simpler problem). Otherwise you will have to begin with the initial charges on Ca and Cb and see what happens when some charge change occurs as a result of the added cap. Follow where this dQ flows, keeping in mind no charges will be destroyed. The final voltage on cap A probably tells you something about dQ.

Last edited:

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is dependent on the geometry and material of the system.

2. How do you calculate capacitance?

The formula for calculating capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is the electric charge in coulombs, and V is the voltage difference in volts between the two conductors. This formula assumes a parallel plate capacitor with a uniform electric field.

3. Can you calculate capacitance of a system with only two unknown variables?

Yes, as long as the system follows the basic formula of C = Q/V, you can calculate capacitance with only two unknown variables. However, if the system is more complex, such as a non-uniform electric field, additional variables may be needed for an accurate calculation.

4. What are the units of capacitance?

Capacitance is measured in farads (F), named after the scientist Michael Faraday. In some cases, smaller units such as microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF) may be used.

5. Are there any practical applications for calculating capacitance?

Yes, calculating capacitance is essential in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It is also used in the design of electronic devices such as capacitors, sensors, and filters. Understanding capacitance is crucial in fields such as telecommunications, power systems, and electronics.