Car loan principal for $500 monthly payment at 0.75% interest over 4 years

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
blackunicorn
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. Assume monthly car payments of $500 per month for 4 years and an interest rate of 0.75% per month. What initial principal will this repay?2. I'm looking for the formula that would be used to calculate it and how to apply it.3. My attempt - P*0.075= $500[1-(1+0.075)^(-48) I calculated 48 by 4 years multiply by 12

My answer is 6459.50. Am I right or somewhere in the ball park? If I am wrong can you explain with what formula should be used?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I checked your formula, and it is correct, but it should have 0.0075 , rather than 0.075.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Here's a check for you initial result: If you make 48 payments of $500, that comes out to $24000. Does it seem reasonable to you that at 9% interest, your original principal would be $6500, and the interest would be $17500?

Chet