Calculate Card Draw Percentages (Aces) - 2/30 to 2/23

• Thread starter Maccadin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of drawing an Ace from a deck of 30 cards with 2 Aces. The draw goes like this: draw 4 cards, put them on the bottom if no Ace, draw 4 more, shuffle the deck, and draw 1 more card. The probability of drawing an Ace in each step is calculated, but there is some confusion about using weights in the calculation. The final solution is that the probability of drawing at least one Ace is 50.98%.
Maccadin
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out the percentage chance to draw a card based on the information below.

The deck has 30 cards. 2 of them are Aces and I just need to get 1 of them in my hand.

The draw goes like this, I draw 4 cards and if I don't have an ace I can put those 4 cards on the bottom (so no chance of being re-drawn yet) and draw 4 more.

After this the deck is shuffled and I get to draw 1 more card.

With these interactions in mind what is the percentage chance I draw an Ace with this sequence?

I believe the chance are as follows but i may be forgetting something

Draw 1 = 2/30
Draw 2 = 2/29
Draw 3 = 2/28
Draw 4 = 2/27
Draw 5 = 2/26
Draw 6 = 2/25
Draw 7 = 2/24
Draw 8 = 2/23

Draw 9 = 2/26

I for the life of me can't figure it out and would love to know the method to figure it out.Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your second draw, it should be 2/29*28/30 + 1/29*2/30. --You can draw a tree diagram to evaluate the probability of each branch.
Is the question asking the probability of at least one ace or do you stop once you have one?

Yes it is the probability of having one Ace at the end of the drawing and you also can stop if you get an Ace.

Okay, then just use the first term in my post #2.
For each draw the probability of drawing an ace is P(ace)*P(no ace in prior draws).
So, as you said, p(Draw 1) = 2/30. Draw 2 = 2/29*28/30 or 2/29*[1-p(Draw 1)]. etc.
It looks like the base probability you have in post #1 is good. Add the weights and the total probability will be the sum of all the cases.

When I did it, I got a total probability of just over 50%. Summing over the base probabilities without weights you had in post #1 gives almost 70%.

Thanks heaps RUber, I also came to the conclusion of ~51%, 50.98% to be exact.

Forgive me as I'm not the best with terminology (or math for that matter), but the 70% figure you propose 'without weights' is there a way to explain that to me?

Thanks again this has helped immensely.

No Problem, Maccadin. When I said without weights, I meant the raw probability of drawing an ace from the deck like you had listed in your initial post.
I was considering the probability of reaching a certain draw the "weight", so that you could use the information you already had and just add an additional factor.

May I offer my solution (I am actually checking my understanding of this type of problems)

The way I would tackle this problem is:
getting no ace in first four cards: q1 = C(28,4)/C(30,4). p1=1-q1
getting no ace on second four cards: q2 = C(24,4)/C(26,4). p2=1-q2
and the last draw:
p3= 1/30, as the whole deck has been reshuffled?

Hence, the p(At least 1 Ace) = p1 + q1*p2 + q1*q2*p3 = 0.4867

Please tell me where did I go wrong...

Last edited:
p3 should be 2/30.

ahh, yes of course 2/30.
thanks.

1. How do you calculate card draw percentages for a specific card, such as Aces?

The formula for calculating card draw percentages is (number of desired cards / total number of cards) x 100. In the case of Aces, the number of desired cards would be 2, and the total number of cards would be 30 if you are drawing from a deck with 30 cards.

2. Can the formula for calculating card draw percentages be applied to any card game?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any card game as long as you know the total number of cards in the deck and the number of desired cards. It can also be used for any specific card, not just Aces.

3. How do you interpret the calculated card draw percentage?

The calculated card draw percentage represents the chance of drawing the specified card in a single draw from the deck. For example, a card draw percentage of 6.67% for Aces would mean that out of every 100 draws, you can expect to draw an Ace approximately 6-7 times.

4. Can card draw percentages be used to predict future draws?

No, card draw percentages cannot predict future draws as they are based on probability and chance. Each draw from the deck is independent and the chances of drawing a specific card remain the same with each draw.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect card draw percentages?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect card draw percentages, such as how many players are in the game, how many cards have already been drawn, and whether or not the deck is being shuffled between draws. These factors can change the probability of drawing a specific card.