1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate closed curve integral

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate ∫C [itex]\frac{dz}{z(z+a)}[/itex] where C is the unit disk Δ(1) with counterclockwise orientation where a is a complex number with |a| < 1.

2. Relevant equations

L [itex]\frac{dz}{(z-p)}[/itex]= 2πiν(L,p)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using partial fraction decomposition,

C [itex]\frac{dz}{z(z+a)}[/itex] = ∫C[itex]\frac{-1/a}{z} + \frac{1/a}{(z+a)}[/itex] = (-1/a)2πi + (1/a)2πi = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I think you an overall negative sign wrong in your partial fraction decomposition, but that doesn't matter since the answer is zero anyway. Yes, that's a fine way to do it. Assuming ##\nu## is winding number?

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3
    Yes, it's the winding number. I forgot to mention that. Generally, an integral wouldn't vanish because it contains the origin, correct? This is just a special case that happens to vanish?

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral of ##1/z^2## or ##z## vanishes when you integrate around the origin. So that's not a valid general rule. In this case you have two poles inside the contour and they cancel. Isn't that what the calculation is telling you?

6. Mar 24, 2015 #5
    The complex inversion's analyticity is destroyed by the origin so that it doesn't vanish, and the two poles are at z=0 and z=a. Apparently, that's what it's telling me, yes. Heh.

7. Mar 25, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't the second pole at z = -a?

8. Mar 25, 2015 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that was probably a typo. The poles are at 0 and -a.

9. Mar 25, 2015 #8
    Yes, of course, I apologize for my oversight. Your previous comment about an incorrect negative sign makes sense how. Heh. Thanks again for the help.

10. Mar 27, 2015 #9
    Lemma: Every curve C(φ: [0,1]→D) is homotopic to a piecewise linear curve in D.

Therefore, it is homotopic to the straight line curve connecting (1,1) and (2,3). By the Independence Theorem and Cauchy Integral Theorem, the integrals are equal. I can parametrize the line connecting the points by z(t) = 1 + i + t(1+2i) and insert this into f(z) to get the monstrosity f(z(t)). There has to be a better way of finding the integral.

11. Mar 27, 2015 #10
    Theorem: Let f be a continuous function on D and let F a primitive function of f. Let C = C(φ:[T0,T1→ℂ) be a curve with finite length with the initial point z0 and the terminal point z1. Then ∫ f(z)dz = Fz1 - Fz0.

So I don't need to go through the rigmarole of finding f(z(t)) and df(z(t))/dt, etc. I can simply integrate with respect to z.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted