Calculate Components of Hammer's Velocity at Edge of Roof

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
murfzee0224
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1. A hammer slides down a roof that makes a 32.0 degree angle with the horizontal.

2. a.) What are the magnitudes of the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof if it is moving at a speed of 6.25 meters per second?
b.) Calculate the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof.


3. I drew a picture for this problem and the teacher said it was right, but I don't know what to do from there. I ended up forcing numbers and have current answers of Vy = 6.25 sin 32.0 (3.44 m/s) with a magnitude of 32 degrees and Vx = 6.25 cos 32.0 (5.21 m/s) with a magnitude of 58 degrees.

PLEASE HELP ME! I know that what I have is wrong. I have checked my notes, the book, and classwork for a problem similar to this and I've had no luck. The teacher will not give anymore hints and my classmates haven't made any progress. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
murfzee0224 said:
1. A hammer slides down a roof that makes a 32.0 degree angle with the horizontal.

2. a.) What are the magnitudes of the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof if it is moving at a speed of 6.25 meters per second?
b.) Calculate the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof.


3. I drew a picture for this problem and the teacher said it was right, but I don't know what to do from there. I ended up forcing numbers and have current answers of Vy = 6.25 sin 32.0 (3.44 m/s) with a magnitude of 32 degrees and Vx = 6.25 cos 32.0 (5.21 m/s) with a magnitude of 58 degrees.

PLEASE HELP ME! I know that what I have is wrong. I have checked my notes, the book, and classwork for a problem similar to this and I've had no luck. The teacher will not give anymore hints and my classmates haven't made any progress. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Yes, the hammer has a horizontal velocity component of 5.21m/s and a vertical downward velocity component of 3.44m/s. You have calculated those components correctly based on the given angle; why are you including angles in your calculated velocity components?
 
Thanks for the help. I included the angles because I thought that they may have been the components' magnitudes.