Physics Problem: Magnitudes and Components

In summary, the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof is 6.25 meters per second, with a vertical component of 3.44 m/s and a horizontal component of 5.21 m/s, at an angle of 32.0 degrees. This was calculated by using the speed and angle of the hammer as it slides down the roof. The possibility of the hammer falling off the roof was not taken into account.
murfzee0224
A hammer slides down a roof that makes a 32.0 degree angle with the horizontal.

a.) What are the magnitudes of the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof if it is moving at a speed of 6.25 meters per second?

b.) Calculate the components of the hammer's velocity at the edge of the roof.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have drawn a picture and attempted to do this problem but I'm not exactly sure where to start. Any help is appreciated!

Continued

I attempted to do this, but I think I just forced numbers (I know my picture is correct because the teacher gave it to us as a hint). I currently have Vy=6.25sin32.0 (3.44 m/s) with a magnitude of 32.0 degrees and Vx=6.25cos32.0 (5.21 m/s) with a magnitude of 58 degrees.

I think this solution is right.It maybe more complicated if it falls from roof.

Thanks for the help. I don't have to take into account the hammer falling off the roof.

What is a vector and how is it different from a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. This is different from a scalar, which only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed (magnitude) and direction, while temperature is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Simply square the x-component and the y-component of the vector, add them together, and then take the square root of the sum. This will give you the magnitude of the vector.

What are the components of a vector?

The components of a vector are the parts of the vector that represent its magnitude in different directions. For example, a vector with a magnitude of 5 and a direction of 30 degrees would have an x-component of 4.33 and a y-component of 2.5, as found using trigonometry.

How do you add two vectors together?

To add two vectors together, you can use the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of the second vector at the head of the first vector, and then drawing a line from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. This new line represents the sum of the two vectors.

What is the difference between the resultant and equilibrant of a vector?

The resultant of a vector is the sum of all the forces acting on an object, while the equilibrant is the force needed to balance out the resultant and bring the object to a state of equilibrium. In other words, the equilibrant is the opposite force of the resultant.