Projectile Motion - hammer sliding off a roof

In summary, the problem involves a hammer sliding off a roof that is at a 40 degree incline with the ground. The hammer has an initial velocity of 7m/s and the roof is 14m above the ground. To find the distance from the edge of the roof where the hammer strikes the ground, the initial velocity must be broken down into its x and y components using trigonometry. The velocity in the x direction is constant, while in the y direction, gravity is a factor. Using kinematic equations and knowing the initial and final y velocities, as well as gravity and the height of the roof, the time it takes for the hammer to reach the ground can be found. Using this time and the x velocity,
Nickg140143

Homework Statement

A hammer slides off the roof of a house that slopes downward at 40 degrees. The edge of teh roof is 14m avove the ground and the hammer leaves the roof at 7m/s.

How far from the edge of the roof does the hammer strike the ground?

Homework Equations

x direction
Vx=V0x

x=V0cosθy direction
Vy=V0y−gt

y=V0yt−12gt2

Vy^2=V0y^2−2gy

The Attempt at a Solution

just looking for a quick bit of help here. You can see some of the work I've done in the attached image.

My initial thought was to first decompose the initial velocity vector into its components so I could go ahead and use those in my calculations, which I did, and they seem to check out when compared with the original problems statement on velocity.

Since I'm trying to find the horizontal distance from the roof ledge, I assumed that using this would be the best bet.
[tex](x-x_0)=V_0\cos{\theta}(t)[/tex]

noticing that I need time for this, I decided to use the formula to solve for t
[tex]y={V_{0y}}^2t+\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
Where I would let y be -14, since my displacement will be from 14m above 0m (0-14)

however, as you'll see from my work found in the attachment, it looks like I'll keep ending up with complex numbers for time.

I'm wondering whether my assumed initial variables are wrong, or if I've once again made a mathematical blunder?

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• phy4aH3P3.gif
    phy4aH3P3.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well i miss read the problem at the start and had a few paragraphs describing what's going on, but oh well

The roof is on an incline of 40 degrees and your magnitude of velocity is 7m/s

you need to break this up into it's x and y components using trig

x = vsin(theta)

y = vcos(theta)

Since there are no external forces in the x direction the velocity is constant, but in the y direction there is a gravity.

So by using your kinematic equations and knowing the height of the roof and what gravity is you need to solve for the time it takes for the hammer to reach the ground with your initial y velocity and final y velocity which is zero.

You know g, d, vy1 and vy2 and your x velocity

I missed your picture at first and it looks good to me.

good luck

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does a hammer sliding off a roof demonstrate projectile motion?

A hammer sliding off a roof is an example of projectile motion because it is influenced by gravity and follows a curved path as it falls to the ground.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of the hammer in this scenario?

The trajectory of the hammer in this scenario is affected by the initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How does the height of the roof impact the projectile motion of the hammer?

The height of the roof will affect the initial velocity and angle of release of the hammer, which will in turn impact the trajectory and distance travelled by the hammer before hitting the ground.

5. Can the hammer's trajectory be predicted using mathematical equations?

Yes, the trajectory of the hammer can be predicted using mathematical equations such as the equations of motion and the projectile motion formula. These equations take into account the initial conditions and factors affecting the motion of the hammer to determine its final position and velocity at any given time during its fall.