Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate DC current through an inductor?

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

Say I have a series DC circuit. The circuit contains a 100V DC source, a switch, a 1.5H inductor, and a 1nF capacitor (all in series).

If I close the switch for 2uS what is the current at that time?

Initially I thought I could rearrange V=L*di/dt to

V*Ton/L = di/dt which would be 100*.000002/.150=1.3mA???

For some reason I am thinking this is not right since the capacitor charge should also effect the current.

Can anyone help me understand and calculate this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Once you have turned the circuit on it settles to a steady state very quickly - so you use V=IR - where R is the DC resistance of the inductor. An ideal inductor is just a length of wire ... R=0.

The transient response requires you solve the differential equation.

For an ideal switch closed for time T, ##v(t)=V_0\big ( u(t)-u(t-T)\big )##

4. May 29, 2013 #3
    Include the cap voltage too, which is 1/c times integral of i(t) dt. Basically a KVL. Take derivative to get rid of integral and get a 2nd order diff eq. Then solve for i(t)

5. May 29, 2013 #4
    Ok, I guess I need to go study differential equations. Never got that far in math.

Could anyone show me step by step how to solve?

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  6. May 30, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I missed the cap - right ... the solution is a damped/driven harmonic oscilator.
    You can look it up. The driving function is the unput voltage as a function of time.
    The u(t) function in post #2 are the Heaviside step function ... which you can look up too.

It would be a bit like pushing a pendulum off equilibrium and holding it for a bit before letting it go.

What you get is, basically, called the "impulse response" of the RCL circuit.
    That's something else you can look up.

If you set it up right you can make it "ring" like a bell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook