firegoalie33 Messages 2 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Sep 21, 2010 #1 I am told that d/dx(f(3x^4))=6x^4. I need to calculate f ' (x). i have tried like 3 different methods and have no idea how to do this. Help please!
I am told that d/dx(f(3x^4))=6x^4. I need to calculate f ' (x). i have tried like 3 different methods and have no idea how to do this. Help please!
Office_Shredder Staff Emeritus Science Advisor Gold Member Messages 5,706 Reaction score 1,592 Sep 21, 2010 #2 Can you find f'(3x4)?
HallsofIvy Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 42,895 Reaction score 983 Sep 22, 2010 #3 By the chain rule, [tex]\frac{df(3x^4)}{dx}= f'(3x^4)(12x^3)[/tex] So you must have [itex]f'(3x^4)(12x^3)= 6x^4[/itex]. That let's you find [itex]f'(3x^4)[/itex] per Office Shredder's question. Now, if you let [itex]u= 3x^4[/itex], you can find f'(u).
By the chain rule, [tex]\frac{df(3x^4)}{dx}= f'(3x^4)(12x^3)[/tex] So you must have [itex]f'(3x^4)(12x^3)= 6x^4[/itex]. That let's you find [itex]f'(3x^4)[/itex] per Office Shredder's question. Now, if you let [itex]u= 3x^4[/itex], you can find f'(u).