1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain Rule W/ Composite Functions

1. Jan 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If d/dx(f(x)) = g(x) and d/dx(g(x)) = f(x2), then d2/dx2(f(x3)) =
    a) f(x6)
    b) g(x3)
    c) 3x2*g(x3)
    d) 9x4*f(x6) + 6x*g(x3)
    e) f(x6) + g(x3)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer is D. Since d/dx(f(x)) = g(x), I said that d/dx(f(x3)) should equal 3x2*g(x3), then I took the derivative again and first used product rule so 6x*g(x3) + 3x2*f(x6)*6x5 since you would need to do chain rule again but that doesn't match up with the answer. I've been trying to play around with it for a while and it's just not coming out as the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Redo the second derivative. The term 3x2*f(x6)*6x5 looks wrong.
    By the product rule: ##\frac{d}{dx} 3x²g(x³)= 6xg(x³) + 3x² \frac{d}{dx} g(x³)##

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. Jan 24, 2016 #3
    Here's how I did the second derivative:
    I'm taking the derivative of (3x2)*(g(x3)), and I'm going to let (3x2) = u and (g(x3)) = v
    so the second derivative should look like: d2/dx2(f(x3)) = u'v + uv'
    My first term came out nice: u'v = 6x*g(x3)
    Now for my second term, I said that v' = f(x6)*6x5 since d/dx(g(x)) = f(x2) so I assumed that d/dx(g(x3)) would equal f((x2)3) or similarly, f(x6) and then I used chain rule for f(x6) which is why I added the 6x5 at the end

5. Jan 24, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##\frac{d}{dx}g(x³) \neq g'(x³)##.
    You are making this too complicated. Try to apply the chain rule when computing ##3x² \frac{d}{dx} g(x³)##.

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5
    Ohhh I see now. I did chain rule on the wrong term. That's why it was coming out funky. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted