Calculate grad X E Am I on the right track?

• Thread starter frozenguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Track
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the del operator in vector operations such as gradient, divergence, and curl. It is noted that the curl of a conservative field is 0, which is demonstrated in the given scenario of a point charge at rest. The del operator is explained as a vector with components of partial derivative operators, and its use in calculating vector operations is discussed.
frozenguy

I only did the first two (out of three) crosses because I want to check that I'm on the right track. It doesn't seem like I am because I have come up with 0i, 0j and I pretty much know I will come up with 0k
physics230ch253.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
On a side note, [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E[/tex] is read "del cross E", or "rotor of E/curl of E." The Greek letter Nabla in this context is usually called "the del operator."

The gradient of a scalar function, [tex]\phi[/tex] is denoted by [tex]grad \phi[/tex] or [tex]\nabla \phi[/tex], and is just one use for the del operator.

The divergence of a vector function, let's take [tex]E[/tex] for now, is denoted by: [tex] div \vec E[/tex] or [tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E[/tex]

Now that that's out of the way, 0 makes sense. The curl of a conservative field is 0! The electric field you've described here, is that of a point charge q at rest. Such a field is conservative, and thus, we should expect [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E=0[/tex], which you have demonstrated exactly. :)

If you've already learned Maxwell's Equations in their differential form, then you should know that [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E=-\frac{\partial\vec B}{\partial t}[/tex] and since in this case you're dealing with a single point charge at rest, there's no time variation of the magnetic field anywhere, again you should expect [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E=0[/tex]

Last edited:
RoyalCat said:
On a side note, [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E[/tex] is read "del cross E", or "rotor of E/curl of E." The Greek letter Nabla in this context is usually called "the del operator."

The gradient of a scalar function, [tex]\phi[/tex] is denoted by [tex]grad \phi[/tex] or [tex]\nabla \phi[/tex], and is just one use for the del operator.

The divergence of a vector function, let's take [tex]E[/tex] for now, is denoted by: [tex] div \vec E[/tex] or [tex]\vec \nabla \cdot \vec E[/tex]

Now that that's out of the way, 0 makes sense. The curl of a conservative field is 0! The electric field you've described here, is that of a point charge q at rest. Such a field is conservative, and thus, we should expect [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E=0[/tex], which you have demonstrated exactly. :)

If you've already learned Maxwell's Equations in their differential form, then you should know that [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E=-\frac{\partial\vec B}{\partial t}[/tex] and since in this case you're dealing with a single point charge at rest, there's no time variation of the magnetic field anywhere, again you should expect [tex]\vec \nabla \times \vec E=0[/tex]

Hey thanks!
Hmm ok so it should equal 0 because the particle is at rest, so the field is conservative? What is the del operator? As in what is it exactly am I crossing with E besides partial derivatives.

frozenguy said:
Hey thanks!
Hmm ok so it should equal 0 because the particle is at rest, so the field is conservative? What is the del operator? As in what is it exactly am I crossing with E besides partial derivatives.

It is often useful to consider the del operator, [tex]\nabla[/tex] as a vector whose components are the partial derivative operators:

[tex]\vec \nabla =( \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \hat x+( \frac{\partial}{\partial y}) \hat y+( \frac{\partial}{\partial z}) \hat z[/tex]

Now we can look at the 3 vector operations carried out using the del operator.

[tex]grad (\phi) = \vec \nabla \phi = ( \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}) \hat x+( \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}) \hat y+( \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}) \hat z[/tex]

[tex]div (\vec v)=\vec \nabla \cdot \vec v = (\frac{\partial \vec v}{\partial x})\cdot \hat x+(\frac{\partial \vec v}{\partial y})\cdot \hat y+(\frac{\partial \vec v}{\partial z})\cdot \hat z[/tex]
Notice the dot product between the partial derivatives and the unit vectors(!), the divergence of a vector field is a scalar function, and not a vector one.

And as for [tex]curl (\vec v) = \vec \nabla \times \vec v[/tex] I won't write that out since I'm lazy, and you've shown you can use the pseudo-determinant to take the cross product.
What you posted in your solution holds for any two vectors whose cross product you wish to find, just replace the components of the del operator, the partial derivatives, with the components of any other vector.

RoyalCat said:
It is often useful to consider the del operator, [tex]\nabla[/tex] as a vector whose components are the partial derivative operators:

[tex]\vec \nabla =( \frac{\partial}{\partial x}) \hat x+( \frac{\partial}{\partial y}) \hat y+( \frac{\partial}{\partial z}) \hat z[/tex]

Now we can look at the 3 vector operations carried out using the del operator.

[tex]grad (\phi) = \vec \nabla \phi = ( \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}) \hat x+( \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}) \hat y+( \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}) \hat z[/tex]

[tex]div (\vec v)=\vec \nabla \cdot \vec v = (\frac{\partial \vec v}{\partial x})\cdot \hat x+(\frac{\partial \vec v}{\partial y})\cdot \hat y+(\frac{\partial \vec v}{\partial z})\cdot \hat z[/tex]
Notice the dot product between the partial derivatives and the unit vectors(!), the divergence of a vector field is a scalar function, and not a vector one.

And as for [tex]curl (\vec v) = \vec \nabla \times \vec v[/tex] I won't write that out since I'm lazy, and you've shown you can use the pseudo-determinant to take the cross product.
What you posted in your solution holds for any two vectors whose cross product you wish to find, just replace the components of the del operator, the partial derivatives, with the components of any other vector.

Thank you so much! Really cleared a lot up.

1. How do I calculate the gradient of a vector field?

To calculate the gradient of a vector field, you need to take the partial derivatives of each component of the vector field with respect to each variable. Then, you can combine these partial derivatives into a vector, which represents the gradient of the vector field.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the gradient of a vector field?

The gradient of a vector field represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase of the field. It can be used to find the direction of maximum change or the direction of flow in a physical system.

3. What is the notation for the gradient of a vector field?

The gradient of a vector field is often denoted by the symbol ∇ (del) followed by the name of the vector field. For example, if the vector field is named E, the gradient of E would be written as ∇E.

4. How do I know if I am on the right track when calculating the gradient of a vector field?

To ensure that you are on the right track when calculating the gradient of a vector field, you can check if your result satisfies the fundamental theorem of gradient calculus, which states that the line integral of the gradient of a vector field is equal to the difference in values of the vector field at the endpoints of the line integral.

5. Can the gradient of a vector field be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a vector field can be negative. This means that the direction of the steepest increase is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive direction of the coordinate axes. The magnitude of the gradient represents the rate of change, so a negative gradient indicates a decrease in the vector field in that direction.