Calculate I1, V Drop R1, V Drop R2, I2 for Circuit w/Diode

  • Thread starter Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Diode
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
pyroknife
Messages
611
Reaction score
4
I attached the circuit.
I need to find I_1, Voltage drop across R1, voltage drop across R2, and I_2. We're assuming the diode is 'not' ideal.

Vin=5V. R1=R2=1kohm
R3=2kohm


voltage across R2=Vin=5V
I2=5/1kohm=5mA

The real diode drops about 0.7 V. So using voltage divider gives voltage across R1=(R1/(R1+R3))*(5-0.7)=1.43V

Then I1=1.43/1k=1.43mA


Is this the right idea?
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
without comment on the correctness of your specific numbers, let me ask you this:

Do you feel that I2 = 5m in the same sense that I1 = 1.43ma. That is, other than magnitude, would they have the same waveform if graphed?
 
phinds said:
without comment on the correctness of your specific numbers, let me ask you this:

Do you feel that I2 = 5m in the same sense that I1 = 1.43ma. That is, other than magnitude, would they have the same waveform if graphed?
I guess I don't see what you're asking.
This is a DC signal.

For an AC signal, the would not have the same wave form due to the diode.
 
pyroknife said:
I guess I don't see what you're asking.
This is a DC signal.

For an AC signal, the would not have the same wave form due to the diode.

Hm ... why do you suppose a DC source is labeled "Vin, VAC ?"
 
phinds said:
Hm ... why do you suppose a DC source is labeled "Vin, VAC ?"

Ignore the AC part, that's for another problem.