Calculate integral sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity

In summary, the problem is finding the integral of sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity. The student has attempted various methods such as using a Maclaurin series, integration by parts, substitution, and contour integration, but none have been successful. The student's professor claims that there is a solution using concepts from calculus 3, but has not provided further information. Wolfram Alpha suggests a complicated solution involving imaginary numbers and the Incomplete Gamma Function. The student wonders if replacing sin(x) with 1 may lead to a convergent limit, but this does not help in solving the problem.
tub08918

Homework Statement

So I have a problem with the integral

∫ sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity

My teacher said this wouldn't require any maths beyond calc 3, but for some reason I cannot come up with a solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted a maclaurin series to replace the sin(x) term but the series does not converge so that doesn't work.
I tried integration by parts which just keeps reppeating the sin and cos terms with x^.1 in the denominator

I attempted substitution but that clearly doesn't work.
I even attempted contour integration but I don't think that could be the solution as we have not done that yet and that is not at the calc 3 level.

Is there anything I'm mising!?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's any consolation, Wolfram Alpha gives the indefinite integral of this function as a complicated function involving imaginary numbers and the Incomplete Gamma Function, neither of which would typically be covered in introductory calculus courses.

That's literally the first thing I did was to plug it into wolfram alpha! THats how I knew this wasn't going to be a picnic. The professor says that there is something in calc 3 I would've learned that makes solving this possible but I have no idea what (the professor is Russian btw) and he refuses to give out more info than that. The only thing I can maybe see is that sin(x) can be replaced by 1 and we can find the limit like that and see that it converges but that doesn't help me solve this problem

What is the formula for calculating the integral sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity?

The formula is ∫ sin(x)/x^0.1dx = -cos(pi) - (-cos(∞)) = 1 + 0 = 1

What is the value of the integral sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity?

The value is 1.

Is the integral sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity convergent or divergent?

The integral is convergent because the limit of the integrand as x approaches infinity is equal to 0.

What is the significance of the value of the integral sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity?

The value of the integral represents the area under the curve of the function sin(x)/x^0.1 from pi to infinity. It can also be interpreted as the total displacement of an object moving with a velocity of sin(x)/x^0.1 from pi to infinity.

How can the integral sin(x)/x^0.1dx from pi to infinity be approximated?

The integral can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Monte Carlo integration. Alternatively, it can be approximated using computer software or calculators that have integral calculation capabilities.