Calculate mass of oil droplet between parallel plates

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
PhysicsMan999
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



  1. A droplet of oil, carrying an extra charge of one electron, is held motionless between parallel plates separated by 1.89 cm, with a potential difference of 39.8 kV. What is the mass of the droplet?

2. Homework Equations

E=0.5QV
C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution


Really don't even know how to start here..I figured I would need kinetic energy to find the mass but the velocity is 0, so there would be none.[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsMan999 said:

Homework Statement



  1. A droplet of oil, carrying an extra charge of one electron, is held motionless between parallel plates separated by 1.89 cm, with a potential difference of 39.8 kV. What is the mass of the droplet?

2. Homework Equations

E=0.5QV
C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution


Really don't even know how to start here..I figured I would need kinetic energy to find the mass but the velocity is 0, so there would be none.[/B]

The problem should really tell you this, but you should assume that the force holding the droplet fixed is the weight of the droplet. Find the electric force on the droplet and set it equal to the gravitational force.