Moment of inertia about y-axis by direct integration

  • Thread starter Thread starter stinlin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
stinlin
Messages
72
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Determine by direct integration the moment of inertia about the y-axis in the figure shown.

Homework Equations


See Iy on attached.
Equation for curve also on attached.


The Attempt at a Solution


My answer didn't include pi, and the answer apparently does. I'm trying to do this via a double integral as opposed to using one integral and doing something funky. My problem I THINK is in finding dA.
 
Attachments
  • asdf.JPG
    asdf.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. There is no "[itex]\pi[/itex]" in the solution.

The moment of inertia of that figure, about the y-axis is
[tex]\int_{x=0}^a\int_{y= -b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}^{b\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}} y dydx[/tex]
That's easy to integrate and has no "[itex]\pi[/itex]".
 
Hmm - that's what I thought. In fact, I think that's the exact integral that I had. I'll give it another go. Thanks!
 
I lied - that's a y^2, not just a y in the integral. The answer is pi*a*(b^3)/8...Still no luck though.