Calculate power consumed by pressure drop

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help in calculating the energy consumption of a HVAC VAV box, specifically looking for an equation to determine the watt hours used by 1,000 CFM of air at a specific temperature and pressure over a year. The equation provided involves taking into account factors such as static pressure and fan and motor efficiency.
NotionCommotion
Hello all! I am interested in how much energy a HVAC VAV box consumes. Can anyone help me come up with the following equation? I don't need to know the exact formula, and can assume an uncompressible fluid and/or ideal gas. Been about 20 years since I have done this and am a bit rusty. Thank you

How many watts are utilized by 1,000 CFM of 55 F air at 2" water pressure above atmosphere going through a restriction that results in a static pressure drop of 0.2" wp over a duration of 1 year?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually, looks like not watts but watt hours, right?

Do I have this correct?

p=0.2" wc = 50 Pa = 50 n/m^2
Q=1,000 CFM = 0.5 m^3/s
P=p x Q = 25 n-m/s = 25 j/s
For 365 days, E = 788x10^6 j = 220 kw-h

Thanks

Last edited:
That looks reasonable to me.

Thanks

PS. I miss doing this stuff!

Starting in English units, it is:
Dp*CFM/6356=hp

Conversion: 746 watts/hp.

I get 206 kWh. Note also, this doesn't include fan efficiency. For a well operating commercial fan, assume 65%. That puts you up to 317 kWh.

Good point about fan efficiency. What about the motor efficiency? A couple percent?

NotionCommotion said:
Good point about fan efficiency. What about the motor efficiency? A couple percent?
Larger motors running near full speed get upwards of 95%. A VFD is about 98% efficient. The pulley-drive on a fan, 90-95% efficient.

What is the formula for calculating power consumed by pressure drop?

The formula for calculating power consumed by pressure drop is P = Q x ΔP, where P is the power consumed (in Watts), Q is the flow rate (in cubic meters per second), and ΔP is the pressure drop (in Pascals).

How do I convert pressure drop from one unit to another?

To convert pressure drop from one unit to another, you can use the formula ΔP (in new unit) = ΔP (in original unit) x conversion factor. The conversion factor will depend on the specific units being used.

What factors affect the power consumed by pressure drop?

The power consumed by pressure drop is affected by several factors, including the flow rate, the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density), the length and diameter of the pipe, and any changes in elevation.

Can I use the same formula to calculate power consumed by pressure drop for different types of fluids?

Yes, the formula P = Q x ΔP can be used to calculate the power consumed by pressure drop for any type of fluid, as long as the appropriate units are used and the properties of the fluid are known.

Is there a limit to the amount of power that can be consumed by pressure drop?

There is no specific limit to the amount of power that can be consumed by pressure drop. However, it is important to ensure that the power consumed is within the capabilities of the system and does not cause any damage or safety hazards.