Calculate Quality of Mixture at 5000 kPa, 0.03181 m^3/kg

  • Thread starter Thread starter t3rom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mixture Quality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
t3rom
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If you have a mixture of saturated water vapor and saturated liquid water at a pressure of 5000 kPa, and you measure its specific volume to be 0.03181 m^3/kg, what is the quality of the mixture?


Homework Equations



Nothing is given :(

From lectures I found vtot = (1-x)vf+xvg


The Attempt at a Solution



From the saturation table for steam, for 50 bar (or 5000kPa) the values of vf and vg are 1.286 and 0.039, respectively.

I'm supposing the specific volume in the problem is vtot= 0.03181

x=vtot-vf/vg-vf = 1.00 which is wrong as p the choices. I'll appreciate if someone can point out what I'm doing wrong, and help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually it's correct but the value of vf was supposed to be 0.01286, which was causing the mistake. Thanks for your help Chestermiller :)
 
t3rom said:
Actually it's correct but the value of vf was supposed to be 0.01286, which was causing the mistake. Thanks for your help Chestermiller :)

What I meant was that there were parenthesis missing.

Chet