1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics for Mechanical Engineering Problem

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A closed, rigid tank contains a two-phase liquid-vapor mixture of Refrigerant 22 initially at -20 C with a quality of 50.36%. Energy transfer by heat into the tank occurs until the refrigerant is at a final pressure of 6 bar. Determine the final temperature. If the final state is in the superheated vapor region, at what temperature does the tank contain only saturated vapor?

2. Relevant equations
    v = vf + x(vg-vf)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so there are two states in this problem. since I have T1 & x=.5036
    I looked at the reference tables in the back of my book and used vf, vg, and x to compute v ( v being specific volume). my computed v :: vf<v<vg which makes since because the ref. 22 is in the two-phase liq-vap region.
    Since it is being heated , v and T are increasing correct?
    I don't know what to do from here.
    since P2 is given, I just assumed at P2 it will be in super-heated vapor state and used linear interpolation to find T using v i found from the initial state and the surrounding T's and v's from the table. but I'm pretty sure that is wrong because v is supposed to increase. Really don't know what I'm doing.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How can v increase when the container is rigid? You're assuming specific volume = 1, a fixed number.

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    You did it correctly. The combined volume per unit mass doesn't change, because the tank is rigid. So v doesn't change.

So, now what is your game plan for doing the second part?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted