Thermodynamics for Mechanical Engineering Problem

In summary: If the final state is in the superheated vapor region, at what temperature does the tank contain only saturated vapor? Chet assumes that the specific volume of the refrigerant is 1 and finds that the tank would be in the superheated vapor state at a temperature of 374.15 K.
Mi77

Homework Statement

A closed, rigid tank contains a two-phase liquid-vapor mixture of Refrigerant 22 initially at -20 C with a quality of 50.36%. Energy transfer by heat into the tank occurs until the refrigerant is at a final pressure of 6 bar. Determine the final temperature. If the final state is in the superheated vapor region, at what temperature does the tank contain only saturated vapor?

Homework Equations

v = vf + x(vg-vf)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so there are two states in this problem. since I have T1 & x=.5036
I looked at the reference tables in the back of my book and used vf, vg, and x to compute v ( v being specific volume). my computed v :: vf<v<vg which makes since because the ref. 22 is in the two-phase liq-vap region.
Since it is being heated , v and T are increasing correct?
I don't know what to do from here.
since P2 is given, I just assumed at P2 it will be in super-heated vapor state and used linear interpolation to find T using v i found from the initial state and the surrounding T's and v's from the table. but I'm pretty sure that is wrong because v is supposed to increase. Really don't know what I'm doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can v increase when the container is rigid? You're assuming specific volume = 1, a fixed number.

Mi77 said:
since P2 is given, I just assumed at P2 it will be in super-heated vapor state and used linear interpolation to find T using v i found from the initial state and the surrounding T's and v's from the table. but I'm pretty sure that is wrong because v is supposed to increase. Really don't know what I'm doing.
You did it correctly. The combined volume per unit mass doesn't change, because the tank is rigid. So v doesn't change.

So, now what is your game plan for doing the second part?

Chet

What is thermodynamics for mechanical engineering?

Thermodynamics for mechanical engineering is a branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformation in mechanical systems. It focuses on the relationships between heat, work, and energy, and how they affect the behavior of systems.

Why is thermodynamics important for mechanical engineers?

Thermodynamics is important for mechanical engineers because it helps them understand the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and its transformation in mechanical systems. It also allows engineers to design, analyze, and optimize energy systems, such as engines and power plants, for maximum efficiency.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and its transformation. They are: the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted; the second law, which states that the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time; and the third law, which states that absolute zero cannot be reached through any finite number of processes.

What are some common applications of thermodynamics in mechanical engineering?

Some common applications of thermodynamics in mechanical engineering include power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, combustion engines, and heat exchangers. It is also used in the design and analysis of turbines, compressors, and other energy systems.

How does thermodynamics relate to other branches of engineering?

Thermodynamics is closely related to other branches of engineering, such as chemical engineering, electrical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is also integrated with other fields of science, including physics and materials science, to understand the behavior of energy and its transformation in various systems.