Calculation of specific volumes

In summary: However, from what I can infer from the conversation, in summary, the problem is to find the temperature and quality for a given pressure and specific volume, and interpolation is needed to find the temperature since it is not given explicitly. The tables mentioned provide values for temperature, pressure, and specific volumes for different states of the substance, and interpolation can be used to find the specific volume values for the given pressure in order to find the corresponding temperature and quality. The explanation provided in the conversation is confusing as it suggests that the specific volume values can be obtained without interpolation, but this is not the case. Interpolation is still required to find the specific volume values for the given pressure.
mech-eng

Homework Statement

300 kPa pressure and v=0.5 m3/kg.

The state is fixed. I should find the temperature and quality if defined.

Table values for temperature

T P vf vfg vg
130C 270.1kPa 0.001070 0.66744 0.66850
135C 313 kPa 0.001075 0.58110 0.58217

I do not understand why table values seems bad when thread is created?

upload_2017-4-26_21-21-40.png

2. Homework Equations

Because the temperature for 300 kPa is not given it should be found by interpolation.
3. The Attempt at a Solution
## \frac {300-270.1}{T-130}## = ## \frac {313.-270.1}{135-130}##

But something is confusing for me in the pic. If the picture is not good I write here the related part of it: "Note that if we did not have table B.1.2 (as would be the case with other substances listed in Appendix B), we could have interpolated in Table B.1.1 between the 130 and 135 C entries to get the vf and vg values for 300 kPa. " This explanation is confusing for me because I understand it to be that if we calculate the temperature by interpolation then it is like vf and vg values will appear automatically without doing interpolation. So is an interpolation is required for finding them?
Thank you.

upload_2017-4-26_20-25-11.jpeg

Source: Introduction to Engineering Thermodynamics by Sonntag/Borgnakke[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might help if you could tell us what is in these two tables that are referred to, in terms of the column and row headings.

1. What is the formula for calculating specific volume?

The formula for calculating specific volume is specific volume = volume / mass. This means that it is the ratio of volume to mass, and is typically expressed in units of cubic meters per kilogram (m3/kg).

2. Can specific volume be negative?

No, specific volume cannot be negative. Since it is a ratio, both volume and mass must be positive values. A negative specific volume would indicate a negative mass, which is not physically possible.

3. How is specific volume related to density?

Specific volume and density are inversely related. This means that as specific volume increases, density decreases, and vice versa. In fact, the specific volume of a substance is the reciprocal of its density.

4. What factors can affect the calculation of specific volume?

The calculation of specific volume can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the physical properties of the substance. In some cases, the ideal gas law may be used to calculate specific volume, but for real substances, more complex equations may be needed to account for non-ideal behavior.

5. Why is the calculation of specific volume important in science?

The calculation of specific volume is important in science because it allows us to understand the behavior of substances at different temperatures and pressures. It is also a useful parameter for various thermodynamic calculations and can provide insights into the properties of a substance at the molecular level.