Calculate the component of the electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field at point P, which is located 120mm from point A and 160mm from point B. The markscheme uses the equation E= kQ/(r^2) with k = 1/4*pi*epsilon to calculate the component of the electric field in the direction AP and PB. Part (i) uses the +2.0nC charge of A, while part (ii) uses the -3.0nC charge of B. The direction of the field at P is influenced by both charges A and B.
nokia8650
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5459/69671206ju9.th.jpg

See image above. Point charges A, of +2.0nC, and B, of –3.0 nC, are 200mm apart in a vacuum, as shown by the figure. The point P is 120mm from A and 160mm from B.

(i) Calculate the component of the electric field at P in the direction AP.
(ii) Calculate the component of the electric field at P in the direction PB.

The markscheme uses E= kQ/(r^2)

where k = 1/4*pi*epsilon

However, for part (i), uses only the 2nC charge, while uses only the -3nC charge for part ii - can someone please explain why this is the case.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In what direction is the field at P due to A? Due to B?

ahh yes, i understand now, thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating the component of the electric field?

The formula for calculating the component of the electric field is E = F/q, where E represents the electric field strength, F is the force experienced by the charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric field component?

The direction of the electric field component is determined by the direction of the force experienced by the charge, which is always in the direction of the electric field lines.

3. Can the component of the electric field be negative?

Yes, the component of the electric field can be negative. This indicates that the force experienced by the charge is in the opposite direction of the electric field lines.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of the electric field component?

The magnitude of the electric field component can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the force experienced by the charge by the magnitude of the charge.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the component of the electric field?

The unit of measurement for the component of the electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C).