1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the curvature and vectors T,N,B

1. Dec 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\Gamma ## be trajectory which we got from ##z=xy## and ##x^2+y^2=4##.

Calculate the curvature ##\kappa ## and vectors T, N and B (B is perpendicular to T and N).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the hardest part here is of curse to find a parametrization of ##\Gamma ##.
    Any ideas how can I do that? I tried using polar coordinates ##x=rcos\varphi ##, ##y=rsin\varphi ## and ##z=z##

buuut, this is obviously not good...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

From [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex], an obvious parameterization is x= 2cos(t), y= 2sin(t). Then, from z= xy, z= 4 sin(t)cos(t).

4. Dec 24, 2013 #3
    well... that is exactly what I did but some really nasty expressions lead to the result. I guess it's ok.

One question, If the cylinder would be moved along x axis, lets say ##(x-2)^2+y^2=4## would than the parameterization be ##x=2cos(t)+2##, ##y=2sin(t)## and ##z=xy## ?

5. Dec 24, 2013 #4
    Also one more:
    Catenary ##z=acosh(x/a)##, ##y=0## and ##x\in \left [ -a,a \right ]##

I tried with ##x=a(1-t)## that would mean that ##t\in \left [ 0,2\right ]## but I just have no idea what to do with z coordinate? :/

6. Dec 25, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not just x = at? Can you calculate the curvature for that?

7. Dec 25, 2013 #6
    Haha, good point... it can easily be just x=at.

Actually, I have to calculate the moment of inertia for this catenary ##z=acosh(x/a), y=0 and ##x \in \left [ -a,a \right ]## but I didn't open another topic because the main problem here is still the parametrization.

But if you're asking about the original (first) post in this topic, than yes. I was able to calculate the curvature and vectors T,N, and B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted