Calculate the entropy for a power plant

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating entropy for a power plant and the information needed to do so, such as net power output, type and amount of fuel, power consumption, stack gas losses, temperatures, and heat rejection rate. It is mentioned that some power plants are not able to provide this information and the website suggested, nrc.gov, did not have the necessary data. The book "Chemical Thermodynamics at a Glance" is recommended as a helpful resource for this topic.
skysurani
i have to calculate the entropy for a power plant. to calculate entropy i have to get some data for the power plant
1.) net power output
2.)the type and amount of fuel
3.)the power consumed by the pumps, fans and other auxiliary equipment
4.)stack gas losses
5.) temperatures at serveral locations
6.) the rate of heat rejection at thecondenser

i call few power plant but they told me that they can give this information and they told me that i can visit the www.nrc.gov[/URL] and try to find information from this site but i didnt find anythings there. if anybody now the site where i can find data or the power plant or if anyone has this data please let me know as soon as possible
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe if you asked about one of the coal fired plants you would get some answers. :smile:

I found the book "Chemical Thermodnynamics at a Glance" by H. Donald Brooke Jenkins particularly useful.

What is entropy and how is it related to power plants?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In the context of power plants, it is a measure of the unusable energy or waste heat generated during the conversion of fuel into electricity.

Why is calculating entropy important for power plants?

Calculating entropy is important for power plants because it allows us to understand the efficiency of the plant's energy conversion process. A higher entropy value indicates a less efficient plant, which can lead to higher energy costs and environmental impacts.

How is entropy calculated for a power plant?

Entropy for a power plant can be calculated using the formula S = Q/T, where S is the entropy, Q is the heat energy transferred, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What factors can affect the entropy of a power plant?

The efficiency of a power plant can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel used, the design and maintenance of the plant, and the temperature at which the energy conversion process takes place.

Can the entropy of a power plant be reduced?

Yes, the entropy of a power plant can be reduced by improving the efficiency of the energy conversion process. This can be achieved through technological advancements, better maintenance practices, and the use of alternative, cleaner sources of energy.