1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the flow through a plane

1. Dec 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\vec{F}(x,y,z)## be defined as ##\vec{F}(x,y,z)=(-x+y^2+z^3,xe^y,-xze^y+z+1)## and plane ##\Sigma## defined with parameterization ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3u+v)+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2)sinhu,-u^2-v^2+1)## where u,v are elements of a circle in point (0,0) with a radius 1. Orientation of ##\Sigma## is regulated in accordance with parametrization.

Calculate the flow of ##\vec{F}## through plane ##\Sigma##.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi there!

I have a problem... I have no idea how to start on this problem? I know that I can replace the x,y,z in ##\vec{F}## with u and v from parameterization ##\vec{r}## but this would give me some massive never ending calculations.

Any other way to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Can one think of a relevant equation that describes a flow based on the flux through an area?

What is [itex]\vec{F}[/itex]?

Is ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u+v))+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2) sinh u,-u^2-v^2+1)## correct?

4. Dec 25, 2013 #3
    You're probably talking about Gaussian law... but, to be honest with you, I don't know when am I allowed to use it...

Am... there is one little mistake (sorry for that).. it's ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u)+v)+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2) sinh (u),-u^2-v^2+1)##

5. Dec 25, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, is that really a plane and not a curved surface? I'm not saying it isn't because I haven't checked, but a plane can be written in terms of linear[/b ] functions of the parameters but doesn't have to be . In any case, if it is a plane then the normal vector has constant direction.

The flow of [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)= f(x, y, z)\vec{i}+ g(x,y,z)\vec{j}+ h(x,y,z)\vec{k}[/itex] through a surface is the integral of the dot product of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and the unit normal vector to the surface at each point.

The "normal vector" to a surface given by [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex] is given by the cross product of [itex]\vec{r_u}\times \vec{r_v}. The unit normal is, of course, that normal vector divided by its own length.

6. Dec 25, 2013 #5
    Aaam, I'm not sure if that is a plane or a curved surface. If I would have to guess i'd say it's a curved surface, however i am not really even sure how one can check that?

Ok, but I assume I have to change ##\vec{F}(x,y,z)## into ##\vec{F}(u,v)## or not?

7. Dec 26, 2013 #6
    ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u)+v)+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2) sinh (u),-u^2-v^2+1)##

Than ##\vec{r_u}=(-2u(u^2+v^2-1)(sinh^3(u)+v)-2u(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u))+v)-3(u^2+v^2-1)(u^2+v^2)sinh^2(u)cosh(u)+1,-(u^2+v^2-1)cosh(u)-2usinh(u),-2u)##

and

##\vec{r_v}=(-u^4+u^2(1-6v^2)-2v(2u^2+2v^2-1)sinh^3(u)-5v^4+3v^2,1-2vsinh(u),-2v)##

is there anything I can do before calculating the normal vector ##\vec{r_u}\times \vec{r_v}## ?? Please say yes :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted