1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the following contour integrals sing suitable parametr

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    Calculate the following contour integrals using suitable parameterisations

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1)##\oint \frac{1}{z-z_0} dz## where C is the circle ##z_0## and radius r>0 oriented CCW and ##k\ge0##

2) ##\int_c |z|^2 dz## where C is the straight line from 1+i to -1

3. Relevant equations

##\oint f(z)dz=\int_a^b f(z(t))*z'(t)dt##

3. The attempt at a solution

1) let z(t)=e^it for ##0\le t \le1## and ##z_0=0## since it is centred at ##(0,0)##

We have ##\displaystyle \int_c \frac{1}{z^k} dz=\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{e^{ikt}} i e^{it} dt=\frac{i}{(1-k)}e^{it}|_0^{2\pi}##..?

2) ##\int_c |z|^2 dz## where C is the straight line from 1+i to -1

let ##z(t)=(1-t)(1+i)+t(0)=1-t+i(1-t)## for ##0 \le t \le 1##

##z'(t)=-1-i##

##|z(t)|^2=\sqrt((1-t)^2+(1-t)^2)=2t^2-4t+2##

Therefore ##\int_c |z|^2 dz=\int_0^1 (2t^2-4t+2)(-1-i)dt##...?

How am I doing so far on both?

Thanks

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    Re: Calculate the following contour integrals using suitable parameterisations

Your reasoning isn't consistent here. What is k in the original problem? What is ##z_0##? Is the circle centered at ##z_0## with positive radius r? I can't help you until that is cleared up.

Your formula for z(t) is wrong. z(1) equals 0, not -1. You meant to write ##z(t) = (1-t)(1+i) + t(-1)##

Your method seems correct after that step. Also, ##|z|^2 = z \bar{z}##, it miught be easier to do that, might not.

4. May 4, 2012 #3

C is the circle with centre z_0 and radius r>0 orientated CCW. I left out the k, it should read

##\oint \frac{1}{(z-z_0)^k} dz##

I dont know how to handle the z_0...?

Sorry, thats a mistake on my part. Will review..

5. May 4, 2012 #4

Okay! So what is your equation equation for a circle centered at ##z_0## with positive radius? Then use the contour integral formula. You should come out with an answer very similar to what your had in your first post.

##\displaystyle \int_c \frac{1}{(z - z_0)^k} dz=\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{(z_0 + re^{it} - z_0)^k} (ir e^{it}) dt= \dots##

Make sure your anti-derivitive is correct, your anti-derivative in your first post was wrong.

Also, is k any real number greater than or equal to zero or any integer greater than or equal to zero? I'm inclined to believe the latter but the choice of what k is will determine what the final answer is.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. May 4, 2012 #5

Yes it is the latter. I see you have taken ##z=re^{it}+z_0## SO the integral should work out to be

##\displaystyle \frac{ir^2}{(1-k)}e^{it(1-k)} |_0^{2\pi}##...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook