Calculate the force on the tight side of a belt drive

In summary, the belt coefficient of friction is .35, the pulley diameter is 100cm, and the maximum torque is 200nm. To calculate the force on the tight side, the equation T2=T1/e^friction*angle can be used. However, it is important to note that there is only enough information to find the minimum tensions and any equal increase to both tensions will still satisfy the conditions.
Girn261

Homework Statement

Belt coefficient of friction is .35, pulley diameter is 100cm and maximum torque is 200nm. Calculate the force on the tight side

Homework Equations

T2=T1/e^friction*angle

The Attempt at a Solution

T=fr, 200nm=f x .5m , f=400N

T2=T1/e^friction*angle

400N=T1/e^.35*pie

T1=1201.134N answer
I know this is a fairly simple calculation but I'm just wondering if what I did was right. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Does "maximum torque" refer to the net torque due to both T1 and T2? If so, then I don't think T2 = 400 N.

TSny said:
Does "maximum torque" refer to the net torque due to both T1 and T2? If so, then I don't think T2 = 400 N.

Thank you for the reply, I think you are correct. Thanks for pointing out my mistake , now I need to find T2 & T1.. hmm

Girn261 said:
now I need to find T2 & T1.. hmm
Think about how T1 and T2 are related to the 400 N force that you calculated from the max torque.

TSny said:
Think about how T1 and T2 are related to the 400 N force that you calculated from the max torque.
T1-T2=400N Max torque.. hmm, now two unknowns

..and two equations

TSny said:
..and two equations

Sorry bear with me, I'm not that good at this. So,

F2^e*friction*angle - F1/e*friction*angle = 400N. I think that's right so far, now need to figure out next step

Girn261 said:
F2^e*friction*angle - F1/e*friction*angle = 400N.
I don't understand this. What's wrong with your original equation T2=T1/eμθ ? (The tool bar has editing tools for superscripts, etc. Σ on the tool bar will bring up math symbols.)

This, along with T1 - T2 = 400 N gives you two equations to work with.

Girn261 said:
Calculate the force on the tight side
I would just like to point out that there is only enough information to find the minimum tensions. Any equal increase on that to both tensions will still satisfy the conditions.

Likes TSny
haruspex said:
I would just like to point out that there is only enough information to find the minimum tensions. Any equal increase on that to both tensions will still satisfy the conditions.
Would the condition T1 = eμθ T2 still be satisfied?

TSny said:
Would the condition T1 = eμθ T2 still be satisfied?
That is not a given condition. It is just like linear friction: if slipping, T1 = eμkθ T2; if not slipping T1 ≤ eμsθ T2.

haruspex said:
That is not a given condition. It is just like linear friction: if slipping, T1 = eμkθ T2; if not slipping T1 ≤ eμsθ T2.
Yes, I see that now. Thanks, haruspex.

What is a belt drive?

A belt drive is a mechanical system that uses a belt to connect two rotating shafts. It is commonly used to transfer power from a motor to other components, such as in a car engine or a conveyor belt.

What factors affect the force on the tight side of a belt drive?

The force on the tight side of a belt drive is affected by the tension of the belt, the speed of the drive, the diameter of the pulleys, and the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulleys.

How do you calculate the force on the tight side of a belt drive?

The formula for calculating the force on the tight side of a belt drive is F = (T1-T2)/R, where F is the force, T1 is the tension on the tight side of the belt, T2 is the tension on the loose side of the belt, and R is the radius of the pulley.

What are the units for force on the tight side of a belt drive?

The units for force on the tight side of a belt drive are Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How does the force on the tight side of a belt drive affect the overall performance of the system?

The force on the tight side of a belt drive is important because it determines the amount of power that can be transferred from the motor to other components. If the force is too low, the belt may slip and reduce efficiency, while if the force is too high, it can cause excessive wear on the belt and pulleys.