Calculate the formula weight for values of X

  • Thread starter Thread starter cyberdx16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
cyberdx16
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I don't really know where to start with this, here's the question

the general formula for the copper ammine complex is [Cu(NH3)x]SO4*H2O

calculate the formula weight for several X values of X.(What are reasonable values for x?)

Do i just plug in random #s for X and figure out the molecular weight?

Thx!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I pressume that you want to know how many NH_3 molecules that coordinates to Cu - so assume that you are able to experimentally get the mass of the complex than you can determine X - so calculate the mass of the complex by using X = 1,2...

(Or at least that is how I understand your exercise.)