1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the induced charge on a conducting surface

1. Nov 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A very thin plane of length ##2a## is placed in the air at height ##a## above the conducting surface. The plane is charged on its surface and the expression for it's surface charge density (##ρ_s##) is given by ##ρ_s=ρ_{s0}*\frac{x}{a}## and ##ρ_{s0}## is some constant.
    a) Determine the surface charge density function inducted on the conducting surface.
    The image that goes with this is uploaded.
    2. Relevant equations
    $$ρ_s=ρ_{s0}*\frac{x}{a}$$
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I need help in starting to solve the problem. I have some theories as to how i would solve it and i would like a feedback on if it's ok to do so.
    I was gonna use a theory where we remove the conducting surface and add a mirror image of the object with an opposite charge. So at ##2a## distance from the first plane there is a second plane with a charge density $$ρ_{s2}=-ρ_{s0}*\frac{x}{a}$$. Now all i have to do is calculate the electric field right? I am confused as how im gonna do this.
    I know that the electric field of a plane is $$E_p=\frac{ρ_s}{2ε_0}$$ but how will i find the inducted charge and express it in a surface charge density function?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right. As if the conducting plane at z=0 were absent. From symmetry (that's why you use the mirror image method in the first place) you know you only need one component. You need a relevant equation for ##\vec E##, something like ##|E| = {kq\over r^2 }## and an integration.

Once you have E, then you use ##E_p=\frac{ρ_s}{2ε_0}## to get the surface charge on the conducting plane at z=0.

If the given charge distribution on the thin plane is causing you a problem, think of a negative charge on one end and a positive on the other: with the mirror you get a quadrupole field. So for this exercise you expect something in that ball park as well.

4. Nov 25, 2016 #3
    Thanks, as for the relevant equation for ##E## in order to get what i said was the ##E## for the plane a used the Gausses's law :-). I understood this problem and m about to post another thats been bothering me :D. Thanks for the answer, your the kind that makes this site awesome (gives a big thumbs up)

5. Nov 25, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gauss is valid for a pillbox close to the plane in case of non-uniform surface charge.

6. Nov 25, 2016 #5
    Hmm..thinking about it now i can use the electric field of a line to replace this plane. What i mean is:
    $$E=\frac{ρ_l}{2πε_0r}$$ is the elekctric field of a line and ##ρ_l## is the line charge function. Here it's just ##ρ_l=ρ_sdx##. I guess this should work?

7. Nov 25, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It didn't appear in the problem statement, but I suppose the charged plane extends infinitely in the y+ and the y- direction, so: yes.

8. Nov 30, 2016 #7
    Sorry for the delay, i was preoccupied but i did make some progress with this and want to verify if this is correct.
    So i used a mirror theorem in which i placed at distance ##2a## a plate that is exactly the same as the first one but with a negative charge on it. The next is my work:
    ##dE_1=\frac{ρ_l}{2\piε_0r}##
    ##dE_{total}=2dE_1cosθ##
    I have choosen some point ##x_0## in where i calculate the field
    ##cosθ=\frac{a}{r}=\frac{a}{\sqrt{(x_0-x)^2+a^2}}##
    when i apply the given surface charge density:
    ##E_{total}=\frac{ρ_{s0}}{πε_0}\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{xdx}{(x_0-x)^2+a^2}##
    This should be the electric field, right? But when i integrate i will get a ##x_0## term and that appears nowhere in the result that my book gives, which i can post if you want..

9. Nov 30, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##x_0## is the x-coordinate of the point (line) on the conducting plate at z=0 where you want to express the surface charge density. I would expect that charge to depend on such an ##x_0## :confused: !?

10. Nov 30, 2016 #9
    View attachment 109693
    Here is the solution, can you make something out of it?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  11. Nov 30, 2016 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, except: His/her ##x## is your ##x_0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted