Calculate the induced charge on a conducting surface

In summary: Sorry for the delay, i was preoccupied but i did make some progress with this and want to verify if this is correct.Yes, this is correct.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

A very thin plane of length ##2a## is placed in the air at height ##a## above the conducting surface. The plane is charged on its surface and the expression for it's surface charge density (##ρ_s##) is given by ##ρ_s=ρ_{s0}*\frac{x}{a}## and ##ρ_{s0}## is some constant.
a) Determine the surface charge density function inducted on the conducting surface.
The image that goes with this is uploaded.

Homework Equations

$$ρ_s=ρ_{s0}*\frac{x}{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help in starting to solve the problem. I have some theories as to how i would solve it and i would like a feedback on if it's ok to do so.
I was going to use a theory where we remove the conducting surface and add a mirror image of the object with an opposite charge. So at ##2a## distance from the first plane there is a second plane with a charge density $$ρ_{s2}=-ρ_{s0}*\frac{x}{a}$$. Now all i have to do is calculate the electric field right? I am confused as how I am going to do this.
I know that the electric field of a plane is $$E_p=\frac{ρ_s}{2ε_0}$$ but how will i find the inducted charge and express it in a surface charge density function?[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_1994.JPG
    IMG_1994.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 824
Physics news on Phys.org
doktorwho said:
Now all I have to do is calculate the electric field right?
That's right. As if the conducting plane at z=0 were absent. From symmetry (that's why you use the mirror image method in the first place) you know you only need one component. You need a relevant equation for ##\vec E##, something like ##|E| = {kq\over r^2 }## and an integration.

Once you have E, then you use ##E_p=\frac{ρ_s}{2ε_0}## to get the surface charge on the conducting plane at z=0.

If the given charge distribution on the thin plane is causing you a problem, think of a negative charge on one end and a positive on the other: with the mirror you get a quadrupole field. So for this exercise you expect something in that ball park as well.

BvU said:
That's right. As if the conducting plane at z=0 were absent. From symmetry (that's why you use the mirror image method in the first place) you know you only need one component. You need a relevant equation for ##\vec E##, something like ##|E| = {kq\over r^2 }## and an integration.

Once you have E, then you use ##E_p=\frac{ρ_s}{2ε_0}## to get the surface charge on the conducting plane at z=0.

If the given charge distribution on the thin plane is causing you a problem, think of a negative charge on one end and a positive on the other: with the mirror you get a quadrupole field. So for this exercise you expect something in that ball park as well.
Thanks, as for the relevant equation for ##E## in order to get what i said was the ##E## for the plane a used the Gausses's law :-). I understood this problem and m about to post another that's been bothering me :D. Thanks for the answer, your the kind that makes this site awesome (gives a big thumbs up)

Gauss is valid for a pillbox close to the plane in case of non-uniform surface charge.

BvU said:
Gauss is valid for a pillbox close to the plane in case of non-uniform surface charge.
Hmm..thinking about it now i can use the electric field of a line to replace this plane. What i mean is:
$$E=\frac{ρ_l}{2πε_0r}$$ is the elekctric field of a line and ##ρ_l## is the line charge function. Here it's just ##ρ_l=ρ_sdx##. I guess this should work?

It didn't appear in the problem statement, but I suppose the charged plane extends infinitely in the y+ and the y- direction, so: yes.

Likes doktorwho
BvU said:
It didn't appear in the problem statement, but I suppose the charged plane extends infinitely in the y+ and the y- direction, so: yes.
Sorry for the delay, i was preoccupied but i did make some progress with this and want to verify if this is correct.
So i used a mirror theorem in which i placed at distance ##2a## a plate that is exactly the same as the first one but with a negative charge on it. The next is my work:
##dE_1=\frac{ρ_l}{2\piε_0r}##
##dE_{total}=2dE_1cosθ##
I have choosen some point ##x_0## in where i calculate the field
##cosθ=\frac{a}{r}=\frac{a}{\sqrt{(x_0-x)^2+a^2}}##
when i apply the given surface charge density:
##E_{total}=\frac{ρ_{s0}}{πε_0}\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{xdx}{(x_0-x)^2+a^2}##
This should be the electric field, right? But when i integrate i will get a ##x_0## term and that appears nowhere in the result that my book gives, which i can post if you want..

doktorwho said:
This should be the electric field, right? But when i integrate i will get a ##x_0## term and that appears nowhere in the result that my book gives, which i can post if you want..
##x_0## is the x-coordinate of the point (line) on the conducting plate at z=0 where you want to express the surface charge density. I would expect that charge to depend on such an ##x_0## :confused: !?

BvU said:
##x_0## is the x-coordinate of the point (line) on the conducting plate at z=0 where you want to express the surface charge density. I would expect that charge to depend on such an ##x_0## :confused: !?
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/109693
Here is the solution, can you make something out of it?

Last edited:
No, except: His/her ##x## is your ##x_0##.

Likes doktorwho

1. How do you calculate the induced charge on a conducting surface?

To calculate the induced charge on a conducting surface, you can use the equation Q = σA, where Q is the induced charge, σ is the surface charge density, and A is the area of the surface.

2. What is the difference between induced charge and net charge on a conducting surface?

Induced charge refers to the charge that is redistributed on a conducting surface due to an external electric field, while net charge refers to the total charge present on the surface. Induced charge can be positive or negative, whereas net charge must always be zero on a conducting surface.

3. How does the shape of the conducting surface affect the induced charge?

The shape of the conducting surface does not affect the induced charge, as long as the surface is able to redistribute charge freely. The induced charge will depend on the electric field and the surface charge density, which are independent of the surface's shape.

4. What is the relationship between the induced charge and the external electric field?

The induced charge is directly proportional to the external electric field. This means that the greater the strength of the electric field, the greater the induced charge will be on the conducting surface.

5. Can the induced charge on a conducting surface be negative?

Yes, the induced charge on a conducting surface can be negative. This means that the external electric field is causing the surface to have a net negative charge, which can occur if the surface has a higher concentration of negative charges or if the electric field is stronger in one direction.