Calculate the minimum mass of an X-ray binary

In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion of how to calculate a lower mass limit and the use of simple harmonic motion in an introductory astronomy class. The OP is frustrated and confused, and asks for help and clarification. However, there are no responses yet, and it is mentioned that not everyone on the site is an astronomer.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

(3) X-ray binary.png

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start part A and part B depends on part A. How does one calculate a lower mass limit? Is it the lower limit of an integral? I also don't understand how there can be two periods (one at 0.714 seconds and the other at 3.89 days). Do I use simple harmonic motion? My teacher never covered anything this complicated before. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this advanced? This is my introductory astronomy class, and it's very frustrating.

Thanks everyone!

Why are there no responses?

Calpalned said:
How is this advanced? This is my introductory astronomy class, and it's very frustrating.
Not everybody on this site is a budding astronomer. :cry:

Your OP doesn't indicate any relevant equations. Are you sure that's the case with this problem?

1. What is an X-ray binary?

An X-ray binary is a binary star system in which one of the stars is a compact object, such as a neutron star or black hole, that is accreting material from its companion star. This accretion process produces X-ray emissions, making it visible to telescopes that can detect X-rays.

2. Why is it important to calculate the minimum mass of an X-ray binary?

Calculating the minimum mass of an X-ray binary allows scientists to understand the dynamics of the binary system and how the compact object is interacting with its companion star. This information can also help us to better understand the life cycle of stars and the formation of binary systems.

3. What factors are involved in calculating the minimum mass of an X-ray binary?

The minimum mass of an X-ray binary is determined by the mass of the compact object, the mass of the companion star, and the distance between the two objects. Other factors, such as the orbital period and the inclination of the system, may also play a role in the calculation.

4. How is the minimum mass of an X-ray binary calculated?

The minimum mass of an X-ray binary can be calculated using Kepler's third law, which relates the orbital period of a binary system to the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. By observing the orbital period and other factors, scientists can use this law to calculate the minimum mass of the system.

5. What are the potential applications of knowing the minimum mass of an X-ray binary?

Knowing the minimum mass of an X-ray binary can help scientists to better understand the evolution and behavior of binary star systems. This information can also be used to study the properties of compact objects, such as neutron stars and black holes, and their interactions with their surroundings. Additionally, understanding the dynamics of X-ray binaries can provide valuable insights into the processes that govern the formation and evolution of galaxies.