Calculate the power in the load

• Thread starter tommoturbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Power
In summary: So for a firing angle of 45 degrees, the power in the load will be half of the maximum power. In summary, for the given thyristor circuit, the power in the load can be calculated as a percentage of the maximum power by using the relationship of output to input powers. This is achieved by calculating the integral of the input voltage and taking into consideration the amplitude of the output voltage, which is either equal to the input voltage or its amplitude minus the drop in the device junction. For a firing angle of 45 degrees, the power in the load will be half of the maximum power.
tommoturbo

Homework Statement

for the thyristor circuit calculate the power in the load as a percentage of max power for a firing angle of 45^

Homework Equations

Va=Vm/2pi (1+cos theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

theta=arcos 0.707
45^=arcos 0.707

but as there is no value for VS or Vl i don't know what the ratio between them is to calculate power any advice apreciated

Regards

Attachments

• thyristor.jpg
    thyristor.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since what is asked is the relationship of output to input powers, you don't need the voltages.
Remember that the mean power of a periodic wave is the integral through one period of the amplitude squared, divided by the period.
At the input you have a sinusoid, so you can calculate the integral. At the output you have only part of the sinusoid, since during the rest of the cycle you have zero V.
For the amplitude of the output voltage, it is either equal to that of the input voltage, or is this amplitude minus the drop in the device junction.

Man you so know your stuff. Thanks for the reply I am going to re do the lesson and take on board what you have said to see if i can figure it out

thanks ian

So presumably then expressing as a percentage

% = sin45 x 100
= 70.71%

Or am I way off?

You must also take into consideration that Power is proportional to square of output voltage.

1. How do you calculate the power in the load?

To calculate the power in the load, you can use the formula P = V x I, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes.

2. What units is power in the load measured in?

Power in the load is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

3. How do you determine the voltage and current of the load?

The voltage and current of the load can be determined by measuring the voltage across the load with a voltmeter and the current through the load with an ammeter.

4. Can the power in the load vary over time?

Yes, the power in the load can vary over time depending on the type of load and its usage. Some loads, such as light bulbs, have a constant power output, while others, such as electrical motors, may have varying power output depending on the speed and load placed on them.

5. What is the significance of calculating the power in the load?

Calculating the power in the load is important for understanding the energy consumption and efficiency of a device or system. It can also help in determining the appropriate size and type of power supply needed for the load.