Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Calculate the power produced by a wheel

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to calculate the power produced by this Stirling engine:
    low_temperature_stirling_engine_1.jpg
    I know there is a way of finding by measuring the pressure and temperature inside the engine but the only data I have is the weight the RPM and the weight of every part of the engine. I understand how to calculate power for a linear motion but not for a circular motion.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You can't calculate the power with the information provided. You need thermodynamic information about the cylinder -- the specs of the wheel are actually completely irrelevant.

4. Jan 8, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1.

The power produced is very low. Just enough to match friction and other losses such as air resistance in the flywheel. If it was any greater the flywheel would accelerate.

5. Jan 8, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you could calculate the power by measuring the torque and rpm? To measure the torque try putting weighing scales under the end like this (It's not quite that simple but you get the idea). Once you have the torque you can use...

Power (in Watts) = torque (in Newton Meters) * angular velocity (in Radians per second)

Sterling Engine.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted