Calculate the Pressure that Shrink film exerts on a cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Sjaak
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Exercise: Calculate the pressure shrink film tube exerts on a cylinder
Relevant Equations
This is a problem solving exercise which requires some research to get to the right method and answer.
for a start I think I can use a derivative of the laplace equation often used for calculating the pressure of a bandage onto a human limb to calculate the pressure.

P (Pascals)= Tension (Newtons) / Radius (metres) x Film width (metres)
First off I am not sure if the equation is even suitable for solving this problem. Secondly, I have no idea how to determine the tension the shrink film can provide. Furthermore, I also think the radius of the film tube has a influence on the pressure, I guess in this problem the tube is regarded to have (nearly) the same radius as the cylinder. I do have some technical information on the material such as stress strain curves.

The shrink film width is a 0.2 m and the cylinder radius is 0.04 m.

I am not great at math and physics so bear with me, but I really want to solve this problem. Any tips, experience or suggestions are welcome :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to need to find the tension somehow, but there's not enough info so far.
What else do you know?