Calculate the value of magnetic flux density in air

In summary, the question asks for the value of magnetic flux density in air between two parallel wires carrying currents of 10A and 20A in opposite directions, with a distance of 10cm between them. The magnetic flux density is the B field, measured in Teslas, and can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0 * I)/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire. It can also be interpreted in terms of flux lines per unit cross sectional area, or in terms of Gauss' Law.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Calculate the value of magnetic flux density in air in the middle of two straight parallel wires carrying currents of 10A and 20A in the opposite directions. The distance between wires is 10cm.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\oint \vec{B}\cdot d\vec{A} = \Phi[/tex]
[tex]\oint \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\cdot d\vec{A} = \Phi[/tex]

[tex]\sum \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 (10)}{2\pi r} + \frac{\mu_0 (20)}{2\pi r} = \frac{\mu_0 (30)}{2\pi r} [/tex]

[tex]30\int \frac{\mu_0 }{2\pi r}\cdot d\vec{A} = \Phi[/tex]

Problem is that I don't know how to transform this into a definite integral. I don't know how long the wires are to do dA to dxdy

Physics news on Phys.org

It's not asking for the magnetic flux, Φ, it's asking for the 'Magnetic flux density', which is the B field.

I suppose 'in the middle' means halfway between.

magnetic flux density is magnetic field?

why would they use such an unnecessary word?

flyingpig said:
why would they use such an unnecessary word?

So that you will learn what is the connection between flux and magnetic field strength :smile:

But what is magnetic flux density really mean? lie flux per volume or something?

flyingpig said:
But what is magnetic flux density really mean? lie flux per volume or something?

The interpretation in terms of lines of flux would be the number of flux lines per unit cross sectional area. You might want to think of it in terms of Gauss' Law, where you look at the flux through a surface area.

A unit of magnetic flux is the weber (wb). A unit of magnetic field strength is the Tesla. One Tesla = one wb/m2.

1. What is magnetic flux density?

Magnetic flux density, also known as magnetic induction or simply B, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a given point in space. It is measured in units of tesla (T) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How do you calculate magnetic flux density?

The formula for calculating magnetic flux density is B = μ0 * H, where B is the magnetic flux density, μ0 is the permeability of free space (constant value of 4π * 10^-7 T*m/A), and H is the magnetic field strength in amperes per meter (A/m).

3. What is the value of magnetic flux density in air?

In a vacuum or air, the value of magnetic flux density is equal to the magnetic field strength. This means that in air, B = H.

4. How is magnetic flux density measured?

Magnetic flux density can be measured using a device called a gaussmeter or a magnetometer. These instruments use a sensor to detect the strength of the magnetic field at a specific location.

5. Can the value of magnetic flux density in air change?

Yes, the value of magnetic flux density in air can change depending on the strength and direction of the magnetic field. It can also vary depending on the material surrounding the magnetic field, as different materials have different levels of permeability.