1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the value of magnetic flux density in air

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the value of magnetic flux density in air in the middle of two straight parallel wires carrying currents of 10A and 20A in the opposite directions. The distance between wires is 10cm.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\oint \vec{B}\cdot d\vec{A} = \Phi[/tex]

[tex]\oint \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}\cdot d\vec{A} = \Phi[/tex]

[tex]\sum \vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0 (10)}{2\pi r} + \frac{\mu_0 (20)}{2\pi r} = \frac{\mu_0 (30)}{2\pi r} [/tex]

[tex]30\int \frac{\mu_0 }{2\pi r}\cdot d\vec{A} = \Phi[/tex]

Problem is that I don't know how to transform this into a definite integral. I don't know how long the wires are to do dA to dxdy

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Flux

It's not asking for the magnetic flux, Φ, it's asking for the 'Magnetic flux density', which is the B field.

I suppose 'in the middle' means halfway between.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3

magnetic flux density is magnetic field????

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

why would they use such an unnecessary word?

6. Jul 23, 2011 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

So that you will learn what is the connection between flux and magnetic field strength :smile:

7. Jul 23, 2011 #6

But what is magnetic flux density really mean? lie flux per volume or something???

8. Jul 23, 2011 #7

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The interpretation in terms of lines of flux would be the number of flux lines per unit cross sectional area. You might want to think of it in terms of Gauss' Law, where you look at the flux through a surface area.

A unit of magnetic flux is the weber (wb). A unit of magnetic field strength is the Tesla. One Tesla = one wb/m2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook