Calculate the volume of the solid of revolution of f(x)=e^x

In summary: I am not sure what you are wanting to calculate the volume of, but the result should be the same if you are using the correct method for a solid of revolution. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the volume of a solid of revolution formed by rotating a region around the y-axis using the shell method. The attempt at solution involves using integration by parts and integrating from 0 to 8, resulting in a negative value. The person also mentions using the disk method with x=ln(y) and getting a different, positive result. They are unsure of where the error in their shell method may be.
jasonbay74

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of the solid of revolution formed by rotating the region around the y-axis. Apply the shell method.

f(x)=e^x, x=0, y=8

Homework Equations

V=∫2∏x((f(x))-g(x))dx

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did: (I integrated from 0 to 8)

V=∫ 2∏x(8-e^x)dx
=2∏∫ (8x-xe^x)

I used integration by parts with u=x, du=1dx, v=e^x, and dv e^x(dx)

giving:

2∏[8∫ xdx-(xe^x-∫ e^x(dx)]

my final answer was -129507.1677

When I apply the disk method using x=ln(y) I get 48.13407626.

These two answers should be the same and I think there's an error in my shell method that I can't figure out?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I apply the disk method using x=ln(y) I get 48.13407626.
Did you subtract your integral from a cylinder with length (e^8-1) and radius 8?
Anyway, this number is too small.

I don't think the volume should be negative, by the way.

This what I did for the disk method (about the y-axis)

V=∫(lny)^2-(0)^2 dy...from 1 to 8

used two integration by parts

1st: u=(lny)^2, du=2lny/y dy, dv=dy, v=y

giving: v=∏[(lny)^2-∫(y)(2lny/y)]

2nd: u=lny, du= 1/y dy, dv=dy, v=y

giving: ∏[y(lny)^2-2ylny+∫y(1/y)dy

answer: ∏[y(lny)^2 -2ylny+2y], evaluated from 1 to 8=∏[8(ln8)^2-16ln8+14]=48.13407626

You are calculating two different things like this - one volume is between the function and the y-axis, the other volume is between the function and the x-axis.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of the solid of revolution?

The formula for calculating the volume of the solid of revolution is ∫(π*f(x)^2)dx, where f(x) is the function being rotated about the x-axis.

2. What is the difference between the disk and shell method?

The disk method is used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by slicing it into disks perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while the shell method involves slicing the solid into hollow cylinders parallel to the axis of rotation.

3. How do you determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the points of intersection between the function and the axis of rotation. These points will be the lower and upper bounds of the integral.

4. Can the solid of revolution be rotated about an axis other than the x-axis?

Yes, the solid of revolution can be rotated about any axis as long as the function being rotated is perpendicular to that axis.

5. Is there a shortcut for calculating the volume of the solid of revolution?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the "washer method" which involves subtracting the volume of the hole created by the axis of rotation from the volume of the solid. This method is useful for functions with multiple points of intersection with the axis of rotation.