Volumes of Revolution with e^-x

In summary: Volume = Integral of bounds 2pi*radius*heightThe Attempt at a SolutionFirst I drew the graph. This graph really is just a graph of e^(-x).I then rotated it around the y-axis.Volume = Integral of bounds 2pi*radius*heightThe Attempt at a SolutionFirst I drew the graph. This graph really is just a graph of e^(-x).I then rotated it around the y-axis.Volume = Integral of bounds 2pi*radius*heightThe Attempt at a SolutionFirst I drew the graph. This graph really is just a graph of e^(-x).I then rotated it around
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Compute the region R in the first quadrant between y=e^(-x), x=0, and y=0. Compute using shells, the volume V of solid around the y-axis.

Homework Equations

Volume =integral of bounds 2pi*radius*height

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew the graph. This graph really is just a graph of e^(-x).
I then visually rotated it around the y-axis.
This problem seems easy enough to set up:

Volume = Integral between 0 (lower limit) and infinity (upper limit) of 2*pi*x*e^-(x) dx
where x = radius
dx = width
e^(-x) = height

This problem was also easy to integrate using integral substitution first, and then integration by parts one time. The final equation was

V = 2pi[-xe^(-x)-e^(-x)] from 0 to infinity.

After calculating the simple answer is 2pi.My problem: For some reason, when I use this calculator: http://www.wolframalpha.com/widgets/view.jsp?id=1cd73be1e256a7405516501e94e892ac

I get an answer of pi/2.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is my answer/thinking correct?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
To do this by the method of shells you want to integrate dy, not dx

Likes RJLiberator
Oh, even if it is around the y-axis? Hm. Let me try this out again. Thank you.

No, I think Dick misspoke there. Rotating about the y-axis you do want dx elements for shells. I also get ##2\pi##.

Likes RJLiberator
LCKurtz said:
No, I think Dick misspoke there. Rotating about the y-axis you do want dx elements for shells. I also get ##2\pi##.

Yes, I did misspeak and 2pi is correct. pi/2 is correct if you are rotating around the x-axis.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, magnificent! So my answer is then verified. This makes me overjoyed.

I tried it the other way and it didn't work out too well, was getting -infinity :p.

Thank you, friends, for assisting me tonight.

RJLiberator said:
First I drew the graph. This graph really is just a graph of e^(-x).
I then visually rotated it around the y-axis.
It's not clear from what you wrote, but you should also draw a sketch of the solid of rotation. In your first graph you should include an incremental area element that will be rotated. In your second graph, you should include a sketch of the shell or disk or whatever. If you do that, you'll have a better chance of getting the integrand right, which in this case it seems that you did.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is a volume of revolution with e^-x?

A volume of revolution with e^-x refers to the volume of a solid created by rotating the graph of the function y = e^-x around the x-axis. It is also known as a "solid of revolution".

2. How is the volume of revolution with e^-x calculated?

The volume of revolution with e^-x can be calculated using the formula V = π ∫ (e^-x)^2 dx, where the integral is taken over the desired interval. This formula is derived from the method of cylindrical shells.

3. What are the applications of volumes of revolution with e^-x?

Volumes of revolution with e^-x have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate the volume of objects such as bottles, pipes, and tanks. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics and in the design of structures with rotational symmetry.

4. Are there any special cases for volumes of revolution with e^-x?

Yes, there are special cases for volumes of revolution with e^-x. If the function e^-x is rotated around the y-axis instead of the x-axis, the formula for calculating the volume changes to V = π ∫ (e^-y)^2 dy. Additionally, if the function e^-x is rotated around a horizontal or vertical line other than the x or y-axis, the formula for calculating the volume will be different and may require the use of other integration techniques.

5. How can I visualize a volume of revolution with e^-x?

To visualize a volume of revolution with e^-x, you can create a 3D graph using graphing software or draw a series of cross-sectional slices of the solid. You can also use physical models or 3D printing to create a tangible representation of the solid.